Sales advice needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In clearing my shop, I get no interest in dead or partial power amps (like one channel works). SO thinking of pulling the transformers to sell as parts and toss the chassis.

But something inside me says that a good chassis with transformer in it, which means all the mains stuff is there and wired already, would be appealing to a DIY power amp builder. Am I naive to think that?

These are pro audio rack mount amps chassis, not really home stereo material. Stuff like QSC, MAckie, Crown, SOundcraftsman.

I am not going to put the time and money into fixing them up. besides, some of the lesser units would have little value in the market, while their bones would work well as the basis of something more modern as a project. Or so I would think.

There are both toroid and EI types in the stack.

Just looking for suggestion to extract a few dollars from these things, and/or find a home for them.

Oh, they are all complete units, just most have a dead channel, and customers declined the estimates and abandoned them.

I have had some gleaners over to the shop, and they have bought a bunch of old stereo amps, dead cast basket speakers, and guitar amps. But looking right at them, no one tumbles the power amps.

I am concerned that shipping would be a major price deterrent.

If I were closer , I´d DEFINITELY buy your chassis + PT + heat Sink "kits", junk any PCB inside (would keep the large filter caps and rectifier bridge though) and build *anything* big and powerful inside, for peanuts, because "electronics" s the inexpensive part of the bill, while hardware is the expensive one.

Both APEX or similar high power designs (Destroyer X , Cordell design clones?) or Class A stuff (including Mr Nelson Pass designs and many others) would benefit from huge heatsinks, most of them fan cooled.

Or Tube amps, adding proper iron.

The Sky is the limit.

I'm a guy that bought two of these things, but I'm too far from MI to make it to your shop. Peavey's are a grade up from Mackie, but not QSC or Crown. CS800b as door stops you said once? slobber, drool.
Advertising is everything. Pull the driver boards, call them rack mount power amp chassis with ( # pre drilled TO3 or TO247 as appropriate) heat sink, you could get $300 to look at ebay. Include a new blank front panel for people that obsess about cleanliness and custom appearance. If they have heat pads instead of mica/berylium, you don't have to worry about the poison issue of the old grease.
Transformers won't sell to the bar band market because of the weight in setup/teardown, but if you include at an extra price a new 600W or 1000W switcher supply, you've got more customer $$. You wouldn't believe what electronicsurplus or apex is getting for old used heat sinks, breakers, fans etc. Depends on the apprentice labor rate if you can make money at it, but those two are.
Best of luck. Importing everything new and sending the old to the dump drives me crazy. The city won't even pick this stuff up here; you have to have a commercial dumpster.
DO get a DBA different business name for the surplus stuff, to not sully your reputation. The musician's shop here has a resale shop down the street that makes it reselling old speakers with cheapo drivers, tigersauruses ets with new transistors, blah blah. You can get competent $30 an hour people here.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.