Capacitors for power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the US, farnell (newark) mouser and digikey don't sell fakes. RS of the UK listed above is another reputable distributor. Not to be confused with trash vendor Radio Shack. Brazil residents may have recommendation of other reliable distributors. I find cap brands sourced in cheap TV's , or PC parts, to start failing in the 1 to 5 year timeframe.
You will find little 15000 uf (1.5 mf now) stock, so you may have to take what they have. You may not find 63 v, you may have to buy 80v or 100v rated caps.
I prefer long service life grade as I had to replace e-caps 4 times to one amp I bought in 1970 . These were store grade on the shelf caps. Long service life caps are service life >3000 hours. Digikey has that spec in the selector table, farnell you have to ask for it to be displayed. Mouser you have to download the datasheet and read it.
I've had good luck with Panasonic, Nichicon and rubicon caps being tightly specified and from countries I accept the government policies. United Chemicon, CDE and multicomp from the above distributors have performed okay but have come from a country always in the news for grabbing resources, or their schools or bridges falling down due to poor quality control.
You can save a lot of money over screw terminal caps by soldering a snap in lead cap to a cinch three terminal strip 28F651. These have a screw hole to screw the assembly to the case. You could also take three 4700 uf snap in caps, screw them between two pieces of polycarbonate plastic or Nema CE laminate, and buss the terminals in parallel. This saved me about $10 on a 10000 uf cap, three 3300 in parallal. Glue the caps to the board to keep them from squirting out, I use windshield gasket adhesive. Also screw the cap boards to the structure to keep them from flopping around in handling.
Watch the length and diameter of new caps, to make sure you can fit the new cap, or the assembly, in the allowed space.

Last edited:
If you think the amp is worth going for a "Rolls-Royce' set of caps, there's the Epcos/TDK 0.015F/63 at Mouser - used to be known as the Siemens Sikorels - I used them awhile ago to recap a Lux amp and it benefitted the unit well - they're pretty big at about 2.5" dia - the .01F/63V are a bit slimmer at 2" dia - not the cheapest caps around

The BHCs (now Kemets) are really good for any purpose especially for the cleaner mids that may make the amp appear a bit 'bass shy' at first - also about 2" dia - from RS and maybe cheap freight to Brazil

As mentioned above, you do have quite a few options - CDC have quite a few that are okay, Vishay still list some of the BC range (Phillips), there'll still be quite a few of the screw terminal Kendeil about, plus you should be able to find some Nichicon LN series - and so on ...
One of the interesting things is that some of the 'low etch' large size, heavy current caps seem to take awhile for the caps to form up - quite noticeable with both the Siemens and the BHCs that seem to require nearly a week soaking yet others like Nichicons, CDE, Panasonic (prev BC Phillips) etc are quite quick - always a puzzle this.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm not sure the difference between the computer grade and snap ins. However
Since new technology the Snap Ins are smaller. Someone else might chime in.
As for shipping I will check tomorrow for cost for USPS 1st Class mail.
Which ones are you interested in.. My brand AJ or the other.
I can tell you USPS priority mail cost is $33.95

Shipping has to be the simplest air-mail possible.

Nothing like EMS or anything that resembles courier or similar. Regular mail is sample checked in Brazil and rarely pays taxes. Courier mail is ALWAYS checked and ALWAYS pays taxes.

$33.95 sounds a bit high for few capacitors, which probably weigh around a pound. Or things got too crazy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.