Demystification of ALPS Pots

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
However, unless there is a centre detent the resetting accuracy makes all this rather academic.
I was thinking the same thing, but apparently it does have a detent.

I've used a number of stepped attenuators bought from eBay. Even had some custom values made in 3 deck models. They worked just fine and were not expensive. I like the little SMD types. But you might not find a good neutral position detent, tho.

Got this measurement from a tone control unit built with ALPS pots. The pots are in flat position. Never trust anybody! Spec says +-20%. As bad as any other pot. Sad...

You have no clue reading a dB scale, sorry

0.5dB error means 6% voltage ratio tolerance, meaning resistance ratio is 6% off , WAY within 20% rated tolerance.

1dB error means 12% error, still WAY within tolerance.

Sad indeed, but that applies to your Electronics knowledge.

OF COURSE, 1% resistors will be within 1% tolerance :rolleyes: , not exactly headline news :p

diyralf said:
+-6dB is not a tone control but a bad cooper wire.
A wire would have to be exceedingly bad (or exceedingly long) in order to achieve 6dB tone control. I assume "cooper wire" is not an oblique reference to superconductors?

DPH said:
Do you need the full range of the pot? If not, fixing it between some fixed resistors (and scaling appropriately) will pull the difference down dramatically.
I thought that. Then I thought some more and realised that the difference would not be dramatic. I said 6dB range limits would only halve the error. Now I've thought some more: adding a 5k resistor at each end of the pot (and adjusting cap values appropriately) would halve the error, but actually give about 10dB range limits. A 10k resistor at each end would give 6dB range limits, and give one-third of the error. Maybe the OP has such strange speakers, or strange room, or strange tastes, that he needs a lot of range on his tone controls?

Last edited:
I happen to have three Alps RK27112-type dual ganged linear pots with center detent. They are marked "510G 10KB x 2". Lacking proper table tools here are the results ("F" unit closest to the shaft, all values in kOhm):

UNIT 1-2 2-3
1F 4.93 4.92
1R 4.92 4.91
2F 4.84 5.07
2R 4.72 4.85
3F 4.70 4.89
3R 4.92 4.75

The third unit is the worst because it is reversed, the first unit is all but exactly identical. Still, the third unit differs only by 7.5% and that's absolute. Pretty good results and resulting in a difference that's absolutely inaudible, even when compared with the TONE DEFEAT position.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.