Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 experience
Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 experience
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2019, 09:09 AM   #61
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snax View Post
Its just a shame Burson are a faceless company who are not prepared to interact with its customers.

Even though i was willing to pay, not look for free samples, i have had no responce from messages on this forum, PM's and email direct for over 2 months.

If this is what i should expect for support or if the product is at fault then its is far from what a consumer should expect.

I am now getting the feeling these favourable reviews are bought in some way
Alas this is common practice in the audio industry and has been so for decades - give freebies to the less critical individuals who publish gushing reviews using adjectives rather than numbers. Don't give freebies to those who mention double-blind listening tests or measured speficiations. Not exactly payment, but not exactly ethical either...

Burson haven't responded to my technical queries other than to claim a PM was sent to me, which wasn't (but it looks good in the public forum to claim that). Of course I was asking about the input referred current noise, which was lacking from the (cursory) datasheet of one of their products. I can only conclude its missing because its a poor performer and they are allergic to admitting it.

Last edited by Mark Tillotson; 3rd June 2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 30th June 2019, 09:47 PM   #62
Derekva is offline Derekva  United States
diyAudio Member

A quick & dirty (and completely objective and unscientific) review of the Burson V5i-D op amps:

I replaced the dual OPA627 op-amps (on Brown Dog adapters) in my modified Adcom GDA-600 DAC to see how they performed (the OPA627 op-amps were an upgrade from the original Adcom 7AA dual op-amps). The sound was very similar to the OPA627 - good bass extension, good transient response, good soundstaging. Switching between the two (easy with DIP sockets) and listening to the same tracks with the same volume settings, indicated little to no subjective difference between the two. Reverting back to the Adcom 7AA op amps, however, was a different story. Soundstage collapsed, mids were grainier and highs were rolled off. Switching back to the Burson reverted to the previous state, and switching back to the OPA627 from the Burson revealed no notable change in audio quality.

Given the similarity between the OPA627 and the Burson, it really comes down to price-point and ease-of-use. The quad of OPA627au plus the Brown Dog adapters is approximately $40 more expensive than the Burson v5i-D ($110 vs $69), plus you have to (very carefully) solder the OPA627au SO8s to the Brown Dog adapters (which is a pain in the *** given the size and sensitivity to heat of the op-amps). If you hire someone to assemble them for you, assume you'll be paying for about an hour of labor, which adds another $30 to the overall cost). So essentially, with the Burson, you get (at least to my ears) virtually identical audio performance at approximately 50% of the cash inlay. That makes it a no-brainer - the Burson is a better deal.

EQUIPMENT:

Raspberry Pi3 / HiFiBerry Digi+PRO (digital source)
Adcom GDA-600 DAC
Yamaha C4 preamplifier
Heathkit W4-AM - PP triode EL34
Altec 614 tallboys (Altec 414z / Altec 808-8b / Altec 32C)
NHT 1259 subwoofer

MUSIC:

She & Him - Volume One (FLAC)
Nick Drake – Bryter Layter (FLAC)
Wynton Marsalis Quartet - Live at Blues Alley (FLAC)
New Order - Substance (FLAC)
Belle Brigade - S/T (320k MP3)

Postscript: I would like to scope and see the measurements of the Adcom with the original 7AA op amps, the dual OPA627s, and the Burson v5i-D to see what the measured effects are of what I heard in my analysis. Unfortunately, I don't own a scope.
Old 30th June 2019, 10:23 PM   #63
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

I read that that circuit does output-biasing of the opamps, so you definitely can't just roll opamps without checking the effects of this bias: Audio Asylum Thread Printer
output biasing is sometimes used to reduce distortion, it doesn't work just by biasing to class A, but by disabling the weaker output driver - you can try this with any opamp, measure distortion while injecting a configurable current into or out of the output and see what effect it has. The optimum amount and direction of current may improve performance, but will limit output driving ability. The wrong biasing will reduce performance of course, so rolling opamps without understanding the relevant performance details is hit/miss. I have read about output biasing before, I forget for which opamp though. Its a bit of a hack, basically.
Old 1st July 2019, 05:08 AM   #64
Derekva is offline Derekva  United States
diyAudio Member

Forgot to include a photo of the Adcom with the Bursons installed:

Click the image to open in full size.

(Adcom has been re-capped in both the power supply as well as the signal path)
Old 18th July 2019, 09:04 PM   #65
dubai2000 is offline dubai2000  Europe
diyAudio Member

Is the offer still valid?
Old 19th July 2019, 02:00 AM   #66
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

ADA4627 is the better deal.

Patrick
Old 19th July 2019, 02:19 AM   #67
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Tillotson View Post
I have read about output biasing before, I forget for which opamp though.
Could have been the DS for LT1115. LT shows an RIAA preamp with output biassing on the first page.
Old 19th July 2019, 04:01 AM   #68
SSaudio is offline SSaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi dubai2000,
Thanks for your message and interest. Yes, the offer is still valid. We are almost ready to send the samples (V5i / V6) for the first week of August to all those interested.

Supreme Sound Opamp V5i – Burson Audio
Supreme Sound Opamp V6 – Burson Audio

I sent you a PM.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Old 16th August 2019, 11:15 AM   #69
dubai2000 is offline dubai2000  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default V6 in preamp section of McIntosh MA6200

My experience with the single version of the V6 Vivid and Classic in the preamp secton of a McIntosh MA6200 preamp section - let me add that I actually purchased all of the opamps ecxept two free samples - thanks a lot SSaudio.

So here we go: the preamp circuit of the amp uses two opamps at the beginning and two at the end - if tone controls stay flat (which is how I am listening). Originally the amp uses 5534 and I first replaced them with OPA 604 - which I liked more at the time. I might add that what I am looking for is/was a less harsh transistor like presentation of music (having lived with tube preamps for quite some time).

Anyway, eventually I discovered Sparkos opamps and found them in every aspect superior to the OPA used before - more clarity, more musical etc.

Enter the V6 Vivid - first I replaced the Sparkos at the end of the circuit - the change was very obvious indeed - less harsh, more holographic - simple more music and less opamp.

Did the same at the beginning of the circuit - I don't know why but here the difference was less to my ears - a tad less mechanical perhaps but I admit I was underwhelmed - perhaps I had had the wrong expectation - good - but not like the first pair where the immediate feeling was: YES!

So I rolled in the V6 Classic in that position and - bingo - here the same impression - WOW. The presentation became more holistic - beautiful musical flow - sorry for the jargon - simple great.

So now I have a spare couple of Vivids - the will end up in the phono section - once I find a suitable adapter as space is an issue in that amp.

So thanks again Burson for a wonderful product which gives me great musical pleasure.

And here a pic:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th August 2019, 04:08 AM   #70
SSaudio is offline SSaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
Would you like to test our opamps and have a good project. We are ready to send free samples for the first week of september!. Please pm me!.

https://www.bursonaudio.com/products...und-opamp-v5i/
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products...ound-opamp-v6/

Happy listening!

Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 experienceHide this!Advertise here!