Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 experience
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2018, 06:09 PM   #41
Jogi is offline Jogi  Germany
diyAudio Member

Ok, here are some pics from the SD card player, which is really good now, considering the low price. Especially after replacing the on board (fake?) regulators for battery and LT3045 I could live with that sound, in stock form it is rather underwhelming. Also the Opamps sound much better, as expected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20181206_14_06_17_Rich-1.jpg (1,013.0 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181210_124735.jpg (317.1 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181210_125622.jpg (792.8 KB, 227 views)
Old 16th December 2018, 08:25 PM   #42
kjb is offline kjb  Sweden
diyAudio Member

So I got my two samples of the burson V6 Vivid (dual) a few days ago (Monday to be precise), the shipping from HK took forever but I can mostly blame the Swedish postal service for that as the parcel was stuck at the custom at least for two weeks, but it was black Friday and soon Christmas so they have extremely many parcels coming in now I guess.

But who waits for something good...

My system:
I have the lx521.4 speakers designed by the late Siegfried Linkwitz. Thanks SL for amazing speakers, RIP. I started to build them them last winter and finished them in June. Since then I have been using them with the Minidsp OpenDRC DA8, 4 channels of Hypex Ucd (Class D) amps for below 1000Hz and 4 ch of Rod Elliots esp03 (Good Class AB) above.
I switched the dsp a couple weeks ago to my current WAF Najda dsp. Its really good dsp, maybe a tiny tiny bit analytical sounding. The najda is powered by one of the best psu:s I could think of, the superregulators SSR01 for 5V and the SSR03 for +-12V, both by sjostromaudio.com.
IMG_20181216_171125.jpg

Last Monday I also exchanged the amps for an eight channel Apollon Audio amplifier seen in the pictures below. It consists of two modules of Hypex Ncore NC502MP and two modules of NC252MP, perfect for driving my speakers. So the dsp is on the top and the amp are below.
IMG_20181216_145457.jpg

Burson V6 Vivid:
So, today I put the two burson V6:s in my Najda dsp, replacing two lm833, cheap but good sounding op amps. I thought the best place to but them would be for the upper midrange and the tweeters, handling 1000Hz and above. To cover the whole spectrum I will need two more of those nice red bursons.

IMG_20181216_171150.jpg

Just to be clear, I'm not a believer in snake oil, expensive cables, or other silly stuff the hifi-business is flooded by. And I really don't expect the bursons to make a big difference at all. But I must say I immediately felt that there was some warmth in the music that I wasn't used to hear. Perhaps its a little more "analogue sounding" (hate that expression, but cant find any better word for it) now with the bursons, all the details is still there, just a bit more pleasant. Like when you listen to music on a Saturday evening and have a glass of some fine vine, things sounds a little more enjoyable. Its the same now, but I definitely have not had any vine today. Some reviewers have called it organic sounding and stuff like that, another expression that one can question, but this time I can agree.

I have to say one more time the dsp is pretty new in my system, as are the amplifiers, and the bursons have only been connected for e few hours, so It can all be my imagination. One probably needs a lot of time to listen and learn how the system sounds before one can judge and really hear if there are any improvements at all. But still, I think the level of enjoyment has been raised a notch or two after installing the bursons.

I will absolutely keep using the bursons and get back and write some more with updates, especially if I get my hands on two more of those V6 to fill the whole 20-20k frequency spectrum.

Conclusion so far: I can definitely recommend trying the burson V6 Vivid out!
Old 21st December 2018, 07:51 AM   #43
Deenoo is offline Deenoo
diyAudio Member

Default Burson V5i vs V6 vivid

Thanks to Burson Audio & Charlie for the samples!

Burson V5i vs V6 vivid (and my V5 )

Just out of the box, not burned in state:
There are two different characters playing music. But all the music is presented by a full bodied instruments and real voices, the sound is really impressive. I found the bass area a bit uncontrolled at the moment, and seems not precise enough, hopefully is changing during burn in period. Interestingly the resolution is still improving, but already is very promising. Overall it a bit flat and muddy. (I do have a Burson V5 to compare too.)
It is simply “brutally” heavy with high dynamics and resolution. In contrast to V6 vivid, V5i is not as natural and less bodied, but it is still involving. V6 vivid shows a huge mass, compared to V5i. Listening to V5i is better by forced the volume up.
100 hours later
I found a big improvements in all area listening to both opa with much smoother presentation. The bass improved a lot, right now is a heavy enough and punchier. Unfortunately in some cases the V5i in my setup warmed up and oscillated.
The space opened by V5i into the back, and the stereo image is good enough. V5i is strong in the middle, and highs, and the female vocals are nicely clear. There are still enough bass as well. The classical music is just amazing.
The V6 is very vivid, and highly realistic. The detail, and resolution is just huge. The instruments and the musicians are just in front of you in a real space. The music is very involving and lifelike, very natural at the warm side of the representation.
Instruments:
Raspberry Pi/MoOde player, Roksan Attessa CD player, ESS9038Q2M modded DAC, GainClone with Pedja Rogic buffer
Listened music:
Doors - Riders on the Storm
Filippa Giordano – Habanera
James Carter – Chasin the Gypsy
Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio – Midnight Sugar
Summary:
I recommend both of them!

Last edited by Deenoo; 21st December 2018 at 07:59 AM.
Old 21st December 2018, 04:13 PM   #44
SSaudio is offline SSaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
Would you like to try our opamps and share your experience with the rest of the Diy-Audio community?. We are almost ready to send the samples for the first week of January. Please pm me if you are interested.
Warm regards,
Old 22nd December 2018, 12:36 PM   #45
sachu888 is offline sachu888  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSaudio View Post
Hi Guys,
Would you like to try our opamps and share your experience with the rest of the Diy-Audio community?. We are almost ready to send the samples for the first week of January. Please pm me if you are interested.
Warm regards,
Hi,
You are very generous to send Opamps to Diy community. Your V5 Opamps were superb as I posted in my review. I wouldn't mind few dual V6 opamps, if I am still eligible.

Regards
Sachin
Old 24th December 2018, 03:38 PM   #46
snax is offline snax  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the offer of Samples and I have PM'ed you however I am simply looking for a genuine matched pair of Vivid V6 which I am willing to pay for as I have been so impressed with the SS.
Old 17th January 2019, 07:33 PM   #47
snax is offline snax  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Is anyone picking up at SS Audio? I have sent mails to the sales team but nothing....
Old 11th February 2019, 01:46 PM   #48
mazzer is offline mazzer  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Burson V5i & TDA1541A DAC

I received a quad set of single Burson V5i Opamps. I used them in a TDA 1541A Analogmetric DAC that I just finished building (it's still bread boarded). It's kind of a long story so I'm going to post the shorter review first, followed by the long version.

SPEAKERS
Linn Keilidh's with the original tweeters replaced with ESS AMT's

AMPLIFIER
DIY version of Nelson Pass First Watt F5 using Toshiba 2SK1530 / 2SJ201

PREAMP
DIY version of Bruce Heran Forewatt with beefed up power supply to handle 12bh7 tubes

DAC
TDA1541A Analogmetric DAC ( bread boarded ) run in oversample mode. I did not use the onboard input transformer.

CD PLAYERS
Onkyo C70-30 used as transport
Rotel 955AX, California Audio Labs Tercet MK-IV

MUSIC
Bill Frisell "Intercontinentals" Elliot Smith "Either or" Calexico "Garden Ruin"
Ben Harper "Both sides of the gun" Ray Kane "Punahele" Joe Pass "Paulinho da costa" Zero Seven "Simple things" Air "10,000 hz Legend" Dead Combo "Quando a alma nah e pequena vol. II" Ray Lamontagne "Ouroboros" Melissa Ethridge "Memphis rock and soul" Calexico/Iron and Wine "In the reins" George Winston "Plains" Windham Hill Records "Guitar Sampler" Alt J "Relaxer"

ROOM
A two walled room that opens into a larger living room. Not ideal by any means. The speakers are too close to the side walls but I can swivel the tweeters, which helps. I set up in this spot just to test the F5. It sounded so good it has lived there ever since.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:49 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Default Room and Rig

Here is the setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ROOM.JPG (471.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Side rig.jpg (507.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg RIG.JPG (493.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 11th February 2019, 02:16 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Default Short Story - Burson V5i Review

The Burson V5i's proved to be a very nice addition to my setup. It did not take long to notice the improvements. The first thing I noticed was an increase in low level detail. Details I had not noticed before were magnified with a clean, clear presentation. Kick drums had more "punch" and seemed to pressurize the room, even at lower volume levels. Snare drums had improved "scratch" while cymbals "shimmered" with extended decay. Sympathetic string resonance on acoustic guitars became more obvious. Location recordings had more reverb that helped define the space. All music had better overall dynamics.

The Burson Opamps made pretty big improvements in my system. Of course these are all my subjective impressions. Overall, I am very pleased with the V5i's. I would recommend them with the Analogmetric ONLY IF you are willing to do the extra work to make these Opamps happy on this board. They WILL NOT WORK with this board as is. I found the extra work worth it. If you want to know the whole story read on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCB.JPG (640.2 KB, 26 views)

Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 experienceHide this!Advertise here!