Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 experience

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I read that that circuit does output-biasing of the opamps, so you definitely can't just roll opamps without checking the effects of this bias: Audio Asylum Thread Printer
output biasing is sometimes used to reduce distortion, it doesn't work just by biasing to class A, but by disabling the weaker output driver - you can try this with any opamp, measure distortion while injecting a configurable current into or out of the output and see what effect it has. The optimum amount and direction of current may improve performance, but will limit output driving ability. The wrong biasing will reduce performance of course, so rolling opamps without understanding the relevant performance details is hit/miss. I have read about output biasing before, I forget for which opamp though. Its a bit of a hack, basically.

Forgot to include a photo of the Adcom with the Bursons installed:

48166612531_028e6ca733_b.jpg

(Adcom has been re-capped in both the power supply as well as the signal path)

V6 in preamp section of McIntosh MA6200

My experience with the single version of the V6 Vivid and Classic in the preamp secton of a McIntosh MA6200 preamp section - let me add that I actually purchased all of the opamps ecxept two free samples - thanks a lot SSaudio.

So here we go: the preamp circuit of the amp uses two opamps at the beginning and two at the end - if tone controls stay flat (which is how I am listening). Originally the amp uses 5534 and I first replaced them with OPA 604 - which I liked more at the time. I might add that what I am looking for is/was a less harsh transistor like presentation of music (having lived with tube preamps for quite some time).

Anyway, eventually I discovered Sparkos opamps and found them in every aspect superior to the OPA used before - more clarity, more musical etc.

Enter the V6 Vivid - first I replaced the Sparkos at the end of the circuit - the change was very obvious indeed - less harsh, more holographic - simple more music and less opamp.

Did the same at the beginning of the circuit - I don't know why but here the difference was less to my ears - a tad less mechanical perhaps but I admit I was underwhelmed - perhaps I had had the wrong expectation - good - but not like the first pair where the immediate feeling was: YES!

So I rolled in the V6 Classic in that position and - bingo - here the same impression - WOW. The presentation became more holistic - beautiful musical flow - sorry for the jargon - simple great.

So now I have a spare couple of Vivids - the will end up in the phono section - once I find a suitable adapter as space is an issue in that amp.

So thanks again Burson for a wonderful product which gives me great musical pleasure.

And here a pic:

p1020867mittelq1jmz.jpg

I am writing this review after recovering a free sample of the burson audio V6 dual.
I’d built a whammy amplifier and fitter a AD823 as it was cheap and I wanted to test the circuit.
All good though I hadn’t used the amplifier much since that.
I fitted the burson V6. You’ll need to move the capacities out of the way.
Huge difference. And as much I am a judge in these things, very impressed.
I certainly didn’t mind listening to my cd for the a good few hours.
Inspired myself now to try it out in other circuits. And looking for a suitable phono amp to build and see how I get on.
Better soundstage, and clarity. Less fatiguing with my beyerdynamic DT880.

I certainly enjoyed using them.
Recommend you try them.

Equipment used.

Planar 3 turntable, origin live silver Tonearm. Denom dl103r
NAD 3130
Whammy headphone amp
Beyerdynamic dt880
Burson audio V6

Attachments

• 586ED57D-8FCD-46E0-95AF-6F01A82664D1.jpg
    586ED57D-8FCD-46E0-95AF-6F01A82664D1.jpg
    686.2 KB · Views: 315
  • 5575B469-3A90-4E60-8C4B-B93D4ED12400.jpg
    5575B469-3A90-4E60-8C4B-B93D4ED12400.jpg
    540.8 KB · Views: 336
V5iD & DAC & AMP

Sorry for my late review but COVID-19 has stopped my plans. Burson were kind enough to send me 2pcs of V5iD.:)

My testing audio devices are:

1) PC -> DAC Topping D10 -> Xindak A06 -> SHAN Loundspeakers (Speakers modified)
2) PC -> DAC Topping D10 -> Pro-Ject Head Box SE -> Audio-Technika ATH-M40x
3) PC -> DAC Topping D10 -> 6J9 Integrated Amplifier -> Audio-Technika ATH-M40x

DAC has originally opamp LM4562 and Xindak has opamp AD712. I replaced both for V5iD.
Pro-Ject has two opamps JRC4580, each for alone output. It's very simple to compare sound quality different opamps. I installed the sockets and changed film and electrolytic capacitors.
6J9 Amplifier has originally two opamps NE5532. The color of the sound creates two tubes. I used tubes from Amperex (USA).
I chose the music different genres: CC Coletti, REM, Pink Floyd, Amanda Brecker, Diana Krall, AC/DC, Jheena Lodwick.

1) Big improvement over AD712. The first thing I noticed was the big sound stage. The bass is very deep and speed. The mids are clear and intelligible especially vocals. The highs are plenty and they are refined, do not tire. There is a lot of space between instruments. For example the album from CC Coletti in Binaural+ is amazing.

2) The sound stage is big. The bass is nicely contoured, distinct. The mids and highs are very pleasant and detailed. All instruments are clearly located.

3) The best sound for my ears. The sound is very warm and detailed. The bass is deeper than with Pro-Ject but still very good controled. The mids and highs are just right. I can listen to music for long hours without fatigue.

I compare also V5iD with next opamps like OPA2134, OPA1692, MUSES8920 and OPA627x2. V5iD wins in all comparisons. I can definitely recommnend V5iD like replacement. I did not notice any problems.

Attachments

• IMG_20200508_144732.jpg
    IMG_20200508_144732.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 201
  • P1240668.JPG
    P1240668.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 179
  • P1240544.JPG
    P1240544.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 173
  • P1240940.JPG
    P1240940.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 122
  • P1240937.JPG
    P1240937.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 114
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.