US mains lead type - old style, I need the name

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old Wavetek signal generator. I loaned it to someone and they lost the lead so I am trying to find out what the name of the plug is on the equipment end. This device is from the early 70s and had a removable mains cable, the equipment end connector is a 3-pin, the shape is oval (about 1.25 inches wide and 0.5 inches high) with three pins in a row(ish) with the centre pin slightly above the outer pins. I think the centre pin is earth. The pins are all circular. Can anyone tell me what this lead is called so I can try to track one down?

I have an old Wavetek signal generator. I loaned it to someone and they lost the lead so I am trying to find out what the name of the plug is on the equipment end. This device is from the early 70s and had a removable mains cable, the equipment end connector is a 3-pin, the shape is oval (about 1.25 inches wide and 0.5 inches high) with three pins in a row(ish) with the centre pin slightly above the outer pins. I think the centre pin is earth. The pins are all circular. Can anyone tell me what this lead is called so I can try to track one down?

Is this the right footprint? Was your cable European on the outlet side or did you use and adapter?

https://www.cablesandkits.com/ac-power-cord-european-plug-schuko-cee-77-to-c5-2-meters-p-1311.html

For whatever reason, we always referred to those as "tape recorder cords".

I believe "Wollensak" tape recorders and projectors from ca. 1950 - 1970 used a power cord with a similar connector. Searching for, e.g., "Wollensak power cord" may turn up a usable substitute. Somebody who was associated with audio-visual (A-V) equipment in that era may have a few power cords laying around. I think the early versions of that connector were two-prong (ungrounded), and later switched to 3-prong (grounded).

(That brand was ubiquitous in U.S. schools during those years. I won't claim the power cords are interchangeable with your Wavetek generator without at least some dimensioned sketches for comparison.)

Dale

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.