Audio Research $30 FET!

I was still able to get a faceplate, rack handles and a shipping crate for a ARC D-75A about 10 years ago. I believe it was around $200 all in which I thought was more than reasonable.

And the Dual 75A was manufactured in 1973. So, 35 years old in 2008 or so.

Try calling Mercedes and asking for new parts for a 1973 450SL. They will think you have mental problems.

Say what you will about Hifi companies, but I was impressed by this level of commitment to their customers.

What you are really mad about I think is that their time is worth more than yours. This is a company, not a DIY club. It’s a discontinued product. What did you expect?

If you can’t afford $30 for a replacement part why are you buying ARC gear? And why are you poking around inside of it?

Last edited:
I was still able to get a faceplate, rack handles and a shipping crate for a ARC D-75A about 10 years ago. I believe it was around $200 all in which I thought was more than reasonable.

And the Dual 75A was manufactured in 1973. So, 35 years old in 2008 or so.

Try calling Mercedes and asking for new parts for a 1973 450SL. They will think you have mental problems.

Say what you will about Hifi companies, but I was impressed by this level of commitment to their customers.

What you are really mad about I think is that their time is worth more than yours. This is a company, not a DIY club. It’s a discontinued product. What did you expect?

If you can’t afford $30 for a replacement part why are you buying ARC gear? And why are you poking around inside of it?

Couldn't agree more. Interesting how someone who can afford a Reference 1 (what,north of $8K new?) will whine about paying thirty buck for a part he broke himself........

Not too sound too harsh, but if you don't want to repair the unit with OEM-provided and blessed parts then don't contact the manufacturer. For a company to process your request, get the part, package it, send it to you, etc, probably cost ARC at least $50 in human capital. Then there is the cost of keeping repair parts in inventory. Could they have done it for free? Sure. But they are in the business of making money. How much do you charge or earn per hour for your labor? I don't think $30 for a part and for shipping a part is unreasonable. Nor can I blame them for wanting to keep part numbers or specs proprietary. Their IP is extremely valuable. Go buy some spark plugs for a Porche or get an oil change for a Ferrari and see what the cost is.

agreed!

Its all down to overheads.
Someone has to pay rent on building, utilities, wages etc etc
When that is taken into consideration $30 is cheap.

I had someone in Australia want to buy a couple of pcb's off me.
So £7 each for pcb's but £20 for p+p
So £34 for 2 pcb's which I paid £2 each for.
Then paypal fee's.
p+p was cost. So I make a little on the pcb. Enough to cover my time to generate paperwork and post it.
Costs soon spiral.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
<snip>

<snip>

Actually.. :D My dad has a 1978 280E and until very recently Mercedes could still supply most of the common and some not so common wear items on his car from a warehouse in Stuttgart. Some OEM parts for his car are still available at this date.

I have a much newer E class (2014) and the components all come from.. Stuttgart. Anything not required for warranty or general service isn't warehoused in the U.S., at least on the east coast. I had an accident and all of the parts came from a warehouse in Stuttgart in about 4 - 5 days.

No Mercedes probably isn't typical...

Hi, i'm experimenting the same issue with an ARC REF one, output on right channel is dead.
Tested voltages on tubes.
V5-V7 2 last 6922 tubes are biased by those N channel mosfet and tubes cathodes are same almost as plates, so not bias on them.
R33-34 237 ohms measures 1,2 vdc.
ZVN2535A or DN2535 mosfets could be the fault?
All tubes are new and tested.
This unit is 25yo, i will by the same time replace all electolitycs to make sure ...
I will continue investigation,
BTW was this the issue from the OP??
Thanks