Bluetooth speaker: Help with lipo charging

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning a little project to build an small self contained bluetooth speaker system. It will also have a 3.5mm stero phono input. For the loudspeakers I may buy some new or possibly nick some from an old pair of bookshelf speakers. I am undecided as to whether to go with a Mono set up or stereo.

For the amp have a 12v Lepi 2020 which I will cannibalise for the parts. I also have a cheap stereo Bluetooth receiver which i will build into the unit.

I want to use a 12v lipo battery to power the unit when the mains adapter is not plugged in. I want this battery to remain in the unit and be charged in situ by the mains adapter via the same dc input when plugged in. Id also like the battery to charge when using the unit with mains input.

I understand that lipo battery need to be handled with care and therefore I need some sort of safe charging circuit built in.

My question is whether there are charging circuits available off the shelf to take care of this? I envisage some sort of small pcb with dc input and an output for the battery to take care of this for me with built in switching between mains and battery.

The lepai amp provides 2 x 10w channels. 20w divided by 12v = 1.6a at full usage. So, 1600 milliamps. If I get a 6000mah 12v battery,

6000 divided by 1600 = 2.62mah.

That should be more than enough given that it would be plugged in for the most part and the figure should be higher given that it will probably never be used at full volume.

I would like suggestions about how to make the unit work from battery and any info on charging solutions.

John.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.