[INDIA] Chassis, knobs, PCB makers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: About an Elektor CNC PCB Drilling Project

peterpan73 said:
As always, I'm looking for information and this time its on an article, or rather a series of articles from Elektor about a CNC PCB Drill machine for the hobbyist. If there is anyone in this group who have come across this project, please help me out my providing me with photocopies of the same. I'll pay for them.
I believe I have those issues. I'll search and let you know. Remind me.

Tarun

Hi Patrick

I have done some research on US sources for a set of spare matched quad EL 34s for my pp power amp. I think Svetlana( or now S.E.D as they are known) are rated the best, and the best price for 4 is about $50-55, plus shipping. I may be going to the US next month so these are current pricing. I would be interested in knowing if these are available here and what they cost.
Thanks for any input.

George

Don't waste your time.

Hi George,
I think you better buy the tubes from the US. I bought some EL34's long ago for about R300/- or so. Now I am told it is Rs400 + . I also got a few Electro Harmonix EL34's from the US.
I think they sound better than my old purchase which is branded National. In addition the National logo and number just rubs off without any effort . The fewshops that had tubes in Chennai now don't have these tubes. Some tourists came and cleared them all out ! What a pity !
But then if you get reliable EL34's locally , it might be worth it.
You won't have shipping charges also.

Check out http://store.yahoo.com/triodeel/6ca7el34.html

Quad matched EL34's for $44/- .

Cheers.

Svetlana tubes.

Thanks a great deal for the info and the link again Ashok.

Yes i ordered 4 pieces of ECC83s and 2 EL34s from Svetlana and I am yet to use them in a replica of a vintage Marshall headamp I am homebrewing at the moment with original Marshall materials decals/logos,corners etc.

I am also contemplating in making a Marshall MG412 speaker cab replica later (I have my hands full now with 4 projects) but could not find Birch PLywood dealers in India. MDF is my last resort. Is that plywood available in Mumbai, anywhere in India??

Thanks for the info but I am exploring the possibility of finding Indian alternatives or even British (in India and provided they are good) for the same Svertlana quality but for a lower price. Thanks a great deal for the link again Ashok.

Now thats what they call a tight rope act.

Tarun
I was happy homebrewing the “Visha” type PCB's till Angshu told me about your find. Once that thing is done I’ll be interested in having a Tube Dac stage that I’m studying. Perhaps we can do a group buy/build.

George
Have you started putting together your line stage? I’d suggest that you start off by the JJ. Meanwhile, I’m exploring means to send the ribbed plates to you by some mean other then couriering the same. Experience tells me that parcelling a NOS tubes isn’t a terribly great idea.

Peter.
Back in time I had cloned a supposedly Fender Reverb combo. Actually I had never seen a Fender till then and we didn’t have the Internet to do a research. But those days a thriving builder community existed in Calcutta. So one day I took the train to Cal and bought a Case, Chassis, Tubes, OPT’s and the nice Spring Reverb tank. All for around 1000 buck IIRC.

Its been almost 25 years. Just a few months ago this box was salvaged and I intend to put it back in action. But I’m changing the output section from a PP 6L6 to a PP 6BQ5. I like the tone of this smaller pentode. Looking at this plan. Your opinion pls.

Here are some pics:

The pack panel opened and the chassis pulled out a bit. And the other pics shows the Riverb tank

Attachments

• dsc03655.jpg
    dsc03655.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,140
Great work!!

Corbato,

I'd love to get my hands on that cute spring of yours for nostaligias' sake. They were just the kind of stuff i was looking for when I was in school. I still haven't got one anyway. YOu're so very lucky! I've settled in now with the bucket brigade IC types I bought years ago and am yet to use them in a reverb box as I have been putting off my audio projects for lack of time. Right now I am neck deep in a 100W X 10 Amp project, A 13.8VDC POwer Supply Project for Ham radio(using a toroid)- simply changing my existing EI tranny with a toroid that I hope to get from MIracle, a monster PSU for my amps and a Marshall headamp replica project.

You can find some of my homebrew pics on this thread
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28211&highlight=
and more in my site at
www.angelfire.com/electronic2/patsham

Regards

Patrick

Re: Great work!!

peterpan73 said:
I'd love to get my hands on that cute spring of yours for nostaligias' sake.
I am going to set a realistic target for rebuilding that combo. If its not possible then I may just give you away the entire combo and not just the reverb.

You've got some fantastic stuff out there !! Do you need to install a Red light on that dipole antenna to warn off incoming aricrafts- if any?

About my tower (now towers)

Do you need to install a Red light on that dipole antenna to warn off incoming aricrafts- if any?

Corbato,

Yes I had a homebrewed dusk-dawn controlled beacon but got it off this homebrewed tower as it was producing RFI owing to the 25Khz + harmonics from the lamps SMPS that nulled my communications. A simple tranny type PSU is in place now. Those pics are two years old. I will post new pics when I have time. A Second tower with adjustable height and controlled by an electric powered winch to be controlled by PC is under construction at a friend's workshop. A third tower on which I have installed my homebrew satellite array consisting of various antenna systems(yagis, helixes and parabolics) along with a homebrew motorised satellite tracking system(Az-el) to track Amateur LEO sats using my PC's LPT port and a software called WXTrack. A few hams (though not me) have even commnicated with Kalpana Chawla when she was onboard Colombia and the ISS using a similar setup. At other times hams like us can be in communicado with any other astronaut other than KC (as we use to call her) and some are doing that already as I type this post.

Will post more pics later.

Regards

Patrick

About the combo!!

Corbato,

Thankyou for your offer, for the combo. Its so sweet of you. I feel flattered. As much as I would like to own it, I am at a loss to understand how I would compensate you for that. :xeye:

As I fear that such a discussion could fall beyond the scope of this thread I therefore hope that you would soon let me know about this by email.

Patrick

Hi Patrick
I have several ongoing projects not just limited to diy audio. So its a question of how to allocate time and resources. I'm yet to decide if the combo fits into my priorities right now. I have no special attachment to it. All these years of building and tinkering has left little space for new addition. So giving away old stuff does have many advantage- most significant being a better WAF.

And if makes sense if such things go to people who will appreciate and use the same. I have several things received from other forum member in the same fashion.

Ashok M

I checked the link on EL-34s, the pricing is on EH, not Svetlana, which is rated as the best all round EL 34s for its price. My pp amp uses Svetlanas, and I prefer to have aspare set of the same brand. I thought $50-55 for SEDs was the lowest I could get, but the internet is capable of showing some really low priced deals! Pricing on the SEDs has gone up a little recently.

Ashok S

The PCB assembly on my TS preamps was done on Saturday, I have to do the chassis wiring and assembly, plan to do it today, I'm quite impateint to hear the sound! There is only a single line out, I plan to add an additional one for my powered sub.

I will use the JJ Tesla valves for now, will talk to Madhukar or Francis at Jamshedpur to find out if they know of anyone coming to Bangalore, so PLEEAASE dont send any glassware by courier...

I didnt know about the locally made goldplated MX connectors( RCA female chassis mount) until someone on this forum told me about them, and I bought a few of them last week. I have to drill an extra hole on the rear and mount them.

Does anyone know more about MX, how good are they, do they make good, gold plated binding posts too, any other products in their range?

Patrick

As you know, Bangalore is (apart from being called the "Silicon Valley of India"-a misnomer, in my view) also home to the largest number of hams in the country.

My two brothers are hams, one of them is VU2XP, and he got his license when he was studying at BITS, Pilani in the 60s before going off to the US, where he is W2XP, though he still maintains his Indian licence. I dont know my other brother's call sign, he had a powered rotator antenna atop his house here for many years, with a Yaesu rig.

Unfortunately with so many other distractions( and priorities) in life, some of these hobbies take a backseat in life, and both are now in active in this hobby , have others. Maybe ham radio in India is also going the way of us DIY dinosaurs?

George

About ham and DIY dinosaurs

Hello george,

Well Phillip.J.Ollapaly VU2XP is not known to me at least on the air... must be the fact that I operated very late inspite of having a licence 10 years ago. You are right Bangalore has a large ham population, second only to Cochin and an ISRO facility with a high ranked official there(also a ham) who is helping prepare the launch of India's first Ham radio satellite. I really don't recall how many times the launch has been postponed but they have been testing this sat and its transponders for years now..they're still trying. Yes yaesu FT100D is what i also have and a Kenwood TSB2000 but like I've mentioned in my website it does not do me any proud if I had not built anything with my hands for my shack and still call myself a ham. MOst of the homebrew hams I admire most are south Indians, Keralites and Tamilians and a couple of bangaloreans who have contributed immensely to homebrew in India. I have a few ham acquaintances in Bangalore and heaps of ham friends from Kerala and other parts of India. Its been months now since I was last spotted on the air as I had to travel. It would be great if I could talk with your bro sometimes. Please do send my 73ees (regards) to him. :D

Regards and peace to all.

Patrick

About MX connectors

Does anyone know more about MX, how good are they, do they make good, gold plated binding posts too, any other products in their range?

George ,

MX is what I have been using all along in my shack. They're probably the only one in the market that I would consider worth using. Thats not to say that they're the best. I haven't known of any other Indian Inc in the connectors fray at the same or better quality level. The MX connectors that I use are F types N-types for my UHF and satellite projects and UHF connectors S0-239, PL259 connectors for my HF homebrew projects. i am very satisfied with them.

Happy homebrewing there.

Regards
Patrick

Hi Patrick

You're right. The hams here in Bangalore used to be a very close knit group in the 70s. 80s and 90s. My brother is a hardcore home brew guy who made many rigs, when he was here, using US WWII surplus aircraft wireless stuff. He helped put up a repeater on the nearby Nandi Hills a few years ago, and used to be on the air, whenever he visited with old timers like Ganesh, who lives out in BR Hills, Sangu, Chief(Brig King?), Shankar and some other names that I recall.

He's not active these days, though. Will pass on your 73s to him-what's your call sign by the way?My other elder bro is Thomas J Ollapally, he has a three alphabet call sign.

I was in fact planning to get some Cardas connectors on the group buy currently on in the US, eslewhere on this forum. Do MX also make good binding posts(anyone else knows?)

Rgds

George

I need PCBs and plans for Titan 2000

One other great Audio project that I hope to make in the future is the Elektor Titan2000. I tried contacting Elektor for past issues but they have only one of the issues containing this project. i need all the 4 or 5 articles (in five issues) along with PCBs. Does anyone in the group have these set of articles with them.. Wouldlike to pay for the photocopies?? and does anyone know of sources where I could purchase the PCBs for this project.

Patrick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.