Power Supplies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm building guitar effect boxes/footswitches and I now need a better way to power them than with batteries. I have a 120V ac>9V dc transformer/adapter that came with one of the effects i bought, but i dont like switching the plug whenever i need to use a different pedal if i dont want to use batteries. I was thinking i could just build a power supply box with that adaptor going into a jack, and splitting that power up into four different jacks, that way i could make some cables and plug all the boxes in, except one. which uses ac power (odd..) I was going to forget about it, but today i took apart an old radio and found a 120Vac>9Vac transofrmer. Actually, (noobie part here) It has to wires goin in for the mains voltages, then three coming out, onr yellow and two red. when the voltage is measured accross the 2 red it shows ~16v. When measures between either one of the red and the yellow, it shows ~8.5v. Is this a center-tapped trans? Anyways, I need a way to take that ac voltage and change it to dc.. I'd use a rectifier, right? I just dont know how to make one.. lol. If anyone could tell me how to make one that would be great. And also, is it possible to have too many mA going into somthin or will it only use what it needs (the effects.. i dont want to fry em lol) Btw, the reason i'd like to use the PT is so i can tap the output before it's rectified so i can get the ac power for the one effect, and then after it's rectified i can use the dc power for the rest. Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.