Nippon CHEMI-CON ACH7147-A 22000uF 56V Electrolyte Capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Trying to find a pair of these, they are from my Pioneer home cinema amp that have gone bad and read so little, amp turns on, but sometimes there is sound, sometimes not. These large caps are swollen on the top and at the sides and need to be replaced but I can't find a good enough website, and, which make would be best? Nippon, or someone else?

Swollen electrolytic capacitors are usually a sign of ageing, and will need to be replaced.
But as infinia wrote, these big caps may not actually be the cause of the symptoms.

If the amp is old, lets say over 15 years old, then age is a likely cause for the failed caps. If it was run in a relatively hot environment, that might be less.

However, with a 56 V rating it doesn't seem like there's a lot of margin should your mains voltage be a little higher than nominal.
Size permitting, it might be a good idea to up the voltage-rating a bit, say 63 V.

Since these big caps have failed, it's also quite likely that other, smaller, electrolytics are in not such a good shape either, even if they might not (yet) be bulging. IMHO, the intermittent behaviour may be a sign of this. You might need to budget for a lot more replacements.

Nippon Chemicon quality is on par with the other big names in the industry.

Last edited:
Trying to find a pair of these, they are from my Pioneer home cinema amp that have gone bad and read so little, amp turns on, but sometimes there is sound, sometimes not. These large caps are swollen on the top and at the sides and need to be replaced but I can't find a good enough website, and, which make would be best? Nippon, or someone else?
Post a photo of the bulging please.

Dan.

Caps pic

The swollen caps, pushing each other away from each other even...

Attachments

• P1000737.jpg
    P1000737.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 233
So, which one's do I need?

First you must read how many uF's & Voltage on the caps in your amp.
Then measure the dimensions and make a note of your readings in this thread if you want further help from others.

If it is 22000uF 56V and dia = 40mm Length = 70mm you can use the (Chemicon) Pioneer cap you mentioned in the thread name.
It is a special OEM type ordered by Pioneer from Chemicon and is not aviable as a standard component, so it must be ordered as a Pioneer spare part: Pioneer part number: ACH7147-A.

Closest standard voltage cap you can use is 63V and the can dia 35mm. Very few manufacturers use 40mm cans in 10mm snap-in caps. Length 70mm is also rare. You'll probably only find 15000uF/63V in a 35 x 50mm can as the closest standard comp from companies like Farnell.

I have never seen a 22000uF/63V in a 35mm can, besides some not-so-serious-sellers on E-Bay :rolleyes: These caps are probably inferior or clean cheat/fakes.

So, if you really need the ACH7147-A's, the best for you is to order them as a spare parts from a Pioneer spare part stockist.

Dont go for sellers in "Alibaba" or other chinese sellers. The'll cheat you!!

Give this company a try: Nippon Chemi-CON 22000uF 56V ACH7147-A Audio Electrolyte Capacitors
At USD14.00 each, it's a good price, if it's still aviable.
Or look for a local Pioneer service company.

JohanB

I've been looking around but can't seem to find much of anything. On looking at the amp a lil bit more, I think possibly some of the output transistors have gone also. Seeing as these amps sell for like £35 on ebay now, I think I may just write it off and get one that does work, possibly the E08 model.

Swollen electrolytic capacitors are usually a sign of ageing, and will need to be replaced.
But as infinia wrote, these big caps may not actually be the cause of the symptoms.

If the amp is old, lets say over 15 years old, then age is a likely cause for the failed caps. If it was run in a relatively hot environment, that might be less.

However, with a 56 V rating it doesn't seem like there's a lot of margin should your mains voltage be a little higher than nominal.
Size permitting, it might be a good idea to up the voltage-rating a bit, say 63 V.

Since these big caps have failed, it's also quite likely that other, smaller, electrolytics are in not such a good shape either, even if they might not (yet) be bulging. IMHO, the intermittent behaviour may be a sign of this. You might need to budget for a lot more replacements.

Nippon Chemicon quality is on par with the other big names in the industry.

Still no joy finding them, when you say up the voltage to 63v, that is just the cap voltage? No adjusting voltage inside the amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.