silver mica or foil caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
from the apologetic wording these people apparently wanted to hear "capacitor's sound" too:

Capacitor "Sound" in Microphone Preamplifier DC Blocking and HPF Applications: Comparing Measurements to Listening Tests
Author:Gaskell, Robert-Eric
Affiliation:McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
AES Convention:130 (May 2011)Paper Number: 8350
Publication Date:May 13, 2011
The listening test results were inconclusive for both
the HPF and DC blocking applications. This does
not mean that there is no coloration of the sound
from HPFs or DC blocking capacitors, only that the
effect is subtle enough to be hard to pin point in
laboratory listening tests.

I need something in he 1 - 4,7µF range. I have found only the MKP4 and MKP10 as metalized polypropylene. Which one is better MKP$ or MKP10. And do you know other capacitors from other companys in similar capacitance range?

It depends on your application and the available volume. Where a metalized polypropylene won't fit because of size limitations, a metalized polyester like Wima MKS2XL may be usable. I often use a 3.3uF MKS2XL bypassed by a 100nF Panasonic ECHU PPS cap for DC blocking in the signal path, and it has excellent audible sonics, way better than the small electrolytics typically found in consumer equipment. More importantly, they don't dry out or drift due to age or moisture. Here's a pic of such a modification I performed a while ago to a Denon UDRA-M3 integrated CDP/Receiver:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

There are several DC blocking caps, and one is visible right next to IC702, where a Wima MKS2XL is fitted into a 5mm pitch through-hole footprint, with a Panasonic ECHU PPS cap on the solder side.

Last edited:
From what I've read the MKP 10 is sonically very good but they are physically quite large. The old MKS2 XL range is great when space is tight.
I really like the Clarity Cap SA range of axial polypropylene caps if you have the space. They are excellent sonically and very reasonably priced.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.