Obligatto Golds 2.2 uF bypassed with Kp1832's .015uF in a Realistic Super Tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Obbligato Golds 2.2 uF bypassed with Kp1832's .015uF in a Realistic Supertweeter

I started this thread in the hopes that someone has tried to use a low value ERO Roderstein KP1832's to bypass an Obbligato 2.2uF cap, and would kindly share his/her impressions.

I have a pair of venerable Realistic Supertweeters in which I have replaced the original caps with the Obbligato Gold 2.2uF and the inductors with Mundorf Copper coils with wonderful results. Looking for a little more sparkle on the top end I was toying with the idea of replacing the Obbligatos with Mundorf EVO Silver/Gold and oil. Venting this reasoning through some very knowledgeable people, I was told to instead bypass the Obbligatos with a low value KP1832 for a fraction of the cost with even better results. Thus a ordered a pair of 0.015uF which I am waiting for delivery on and plan to solder these in sometime next week. After playing these for over 60+ hours I will report again on this thread, but would love to hear from someone that has already done this.

Last edited:
The KP1832 0.015 uF bypass caps are now on!

I installed the Ero Roderstein KP1832 0.015 uF as low value bypass caps to the main Obbligato Gold 2.2 uF caps in my Realistic Supertweeters, and right of the bat these made a huge improvement in the definition of the instruments across the board. Using Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" as a tester, the cymbals and drums were sharper, and their decay extended longer and could be clearly heard. Also the bass notes and the piano had more presence, and the saxophone edges where clearly delineated. I could not be more pleased with the results, and the KP's still have to go through their break in period.

For anyone looking to refine their system presentation without spending much money, perhaps my recipe could work as well, by adding the inexpensive but well built by Fostex back in the day Realistic Supertweeter and replacing the original crossover as follows:

Ingredients:

1 pair of Realistic Supertweeter available on Ebay, etc. $100 +-
1 pair of Obbligato Gold 2.2 uF caps $35
1 pair of ERO Roderstein KP1832 0.015 uF caps $10
1 pair of Mundorf M-Coil Foil Copper Inductors 0.33mH 14GA $47
Soldering and a soldering gun
Phillips screwdriver

The Mundorf inductor will not fit in the case and has to be installed on the outside secured with a screw on the back. A couple of openings has to be made on the back of the case as well to insert the two foils (see attached pictures)
The ERO KP1832's terminals are soldered to each terminal of the Obbligatos and these to the network as shown in the diagram of the original diagram that can be found on the Realistic Supertweeter owner's manual on the second page at http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/doc66/66180.pdf
Likewise in the same diagram replace the original inductor with the Mundorf.
The results are well worth the work, and fairly inexpensively @ $192 super tweeter included.
I hope it works for you as well!

Attachments

• CAM00038b.jpg
    CAM00038b.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 143
  • CAM00034b.jpg
    CAM00034b.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 146
  • CAM00037b.jpg
    CAM00037b.jpg
    642.7 KB · Views: 143
How's it sounding?

I've been following your posts on this topic for some time. Very nice modification! I have a pair of these super tweeters that I am considering upgrading. But I have very little experience messing around with small electronics or if it's worth it.

Are you interested and available to upgrade mine?

Ron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.