Capacitor Voltage rating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would assume it is ok to go high on the voltage rating.
Yes, it's ok to go higher then needed. However size will be larger. Also it is said that electrolytic capacitors that are operated at much lower then their rated voltage will not form as completely as they ordinarily would. But I should think you would be able to find the needed values at a lower voltage since the world of capacitors is very large. 10 volt units sound like cathode bypass caps. 25 volt units are out there.

For Electrolytic caps, try to stick to within 50% of the required voltage. eg, if the circuit will be at a voltage of 50V, Don't go over a 100V rated cap.

Nichicon Chemcon and others have some good application notes on this.

Film caps is wide open. ie it won't hurt to use a 400V cap in a 25V circuit.

yes, it's good not to go less than 50% of max with electrolytics.

as stated, this is not relevant with film caps, but in some critical applications the physical difference between caps rating can be heard. for example at the output of my DAC i used 10uf 250v Siemens MKL film caps and sound was great. after a while i spotted 10uf 63v version and went for it. i did blind a/b tests just to learn if it can have an audible effect and it was there. very slight but the definition in higher mids was even better.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.