Is this a fake LM4562NA?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is our hobby here really demand the volume that worth them counterfeit these parts? It's not like they sell millions......Thousands if they are lucky. I cannot imagine they can sell 1000 of this opamp. face it, this audiophile is a very small field.
well, they can relabel TL062 as anything they want, that is more than thousands I guess. A profit of more than 200%/pcs is very tempting :eek:

I just took a couple of pictures of an LM4562. I got this one as a sample directly from National Semiconductor some years ago.
it looks very convincing :up:
thanks.

Just checked my cheap LME49720HA (about US$7.7 I guess), and compared to my LM4562HA (maybe about US$13).
LME49720HA buy from china, LM4562HA from digikey.
You know what? The LME49720HA looks like an OLD Can OpAmp.. the body and the leg wasn't as clean as the LM4562HA. The marking not as bold as the LM4562HA.
LME49720HA has an Iq of less than 1mA total... !! Maybe its a second hand LM358H or the like..

From now on, I'm not gona buy too cheap OpAmp.. not worth at all.

no edit button there, so I upload the picture here.

the two identical Cans OpAmp are "fake" LME49720HA, the other one is original LM4562HA (but a dead OpAmp because of oscillation).

the body & the seating plane of the fake LME49720HA looks dirty whereas it should be a new items.
Iq of less than 1mA, I guess it's a second hand LM358H or the like.

this is a proof, although they may be sell so little quantity, on a not-common type Op Amp, they do counterfeit them.

shame on me :(

sorry for my imperfect English :D

Attachments

• LM49720HA Fake LM4562HA Ori.jpg
    LM49720HA Fake LM4562HA Ori.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 619
  • LM49720HA Fake.jpg
    LM49720HA Fake.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 601
  • LM4562HA Ori.jpg
    LM4562HA Ori.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 586
Kroto, if you look carefully at the first picture you posted, you can see what appears to be scrape marks on the top of the IC from the pin 1/8 end to the 4/5 end -- left-to-right in your picture. That makes me suspect that the original marking was 'sanded' off and replaced by new marking. Also, the molded "Korea" on the bottom is odd as I believe that National's assembly is in Malaysia, though it's possible that post-acquisition TI may have moved it.

that price ($8 & $13) is already with shipping & tax.

I just bought some LM4562MA at ebay from Hong Kong seller adeleparts2010 for less than a dollar each incl. shipping.

What do you think for the photo below, are they genuine National S. or Texas I. or are they maybe counterfeits? When I asked the seller, they told me not to worry, as they are new.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I just bought some LM4562MA at ebay from Hong Kong seller adeleparts2010 for less than a dollar each incl. shipping.

What do you think for the photo below, are they genuine National S. or Texas I. or are they maybe counterfeits? When I asked the seller, they told me not to worry, as they are new.

hard to tell, but the the price is suspicious (so cheap).

I suggest you measure its supply current.

n.b (just to compare photos & price) : LM4562MA High Performance Audio Op Amp IC LM4562 1pcs | eBay

I just bought some LM4562MA at ebay from Hong Kong seller adeleparts2010 for less than a dollar each incl. shipping.Are they maybe counterfeits? When I asked the seller, they told me not to worry, as they are new.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Probably NEW fakes!! Being as how the 1,000 order price for LM4562s from Mouser is $1.30, I fail to see now they could possibly be real for <$1.00. Too good to be true, and isn't!!

The easiest way to eliminate a lot of remarking is to test into a 100R load. The LM4562 will drive more than 20mA off +/-5V supply rails
The NE5532 is the only cheap part that can do this and that was at least very rare as a metal can

Thank´s all for your replys!

I have now solder 4 pcs of those LM4562 in a 10 year old CD-player (Harman Kardon HD970), and now it will get no sound from the analog out, except a very small amount of a distorted sound that can only be hard with the highest volume at the amp.

Ok how to easiest measure if it will drive more than 20 mA? And what about the 100 Ohm? Should I connect headphones with that impedance and measure at the + - pins at the LM4562?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
To test you build a test fixture (unity gain buffer) and measure the voltage across the 100 ohm load resistor with 2V out demonstrating that the op-amp can source 20mA. Don't use headphones unless you want to destroy them.

(+/-5V bipolar supply, function generator as source, and scope to observe output waveform)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have now solder 4 pcs of those LM4562 in a 10 year old CD-player (Harman Kardon HD970), and now it will get no sound from the analog out, except a very small amount of a distorted sound that can only be hard with the highest volume at the amp.

^ Its as kevinkr says. You have answered your own question.

Just out of interest, what was originally fitted in the HK ?

^ Its as kevinkr says. You have answered your own question.

Just out of interest, what was originally fitted in the HK ?

Ok, I agree they are not working. But as they were in a new factory rail blister, it seem´s like they should be original - should not be that easy for any china pirate to pack them like that. But as two of them were already opened and just hold in the package by office tape, they maybe have been damaged during shipment. Also, the blister was not in any ESD-safe bag, just a standard bubble poch envelope.

So, I now intend to replace two of them with two other new ones, before buying new ones from a certified seller for about $3/each.

For Harman Kardon HD970 CD player, the I/V was two pcs OP275 and analog out was two pcs OPA2134. A really nice player (until I destroyed it!)

It looks dubious to me. The lettering isn't perfect for one thing, some appear to be at an angle and some out of line. The 5532 has a higher Iq than 4.5ma. 10 to 12 ma would be typical for the total combined current of the two amps in one package. A 4562 and 5532 probably run at around the same temperature from what I remember of them.

Gotten some LM4562, set them up to measure Iq quiescent current according to datasheet typical shld be 10ma.
(@ Vcc+- +-15V, both op-amp Out connect to IN-, both op-amp IN+ connects to 0V ), but only got ~8ma.

As a reference repeated on NE5532, also ~ 8ma. (this per datasheet)
So does it seems l gotten LM4562 or just some remarked NE5532?

How to tell NE5532 from LM4562 electrically ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.