WOOD experiences in Bamboo speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Wehave used the 2 higher grades of bamboo plywood -- 3 plies, a centre ply of blocks of bamboo, with outer plies of vertical oriented laminated strips, or the REALLY good stuff which is called stranded, oriented bamboo strands in some sort of matrix.

This is the best fat sheet material that we have yet used.

dave

Thanks Dave for your reply.

At the moment I am concentrating on flat wood...as in flooring type grade material for box speakers.

I perhaps sense that you are into horns? If that is the case then you are best placed for me to ask the question...can the bamboo strips be easily bent using a home-made steam-box?

If you are a `commercial´ enterprise then you may also be able to give me hints on the appropriate glues required to weld the slats together.

Apart from the positive external values of Bamboo, have you discovered any particular advantages or disadvantages of using Bamboo in the internals of a speaker?

Would love to hear more

Stephen (Reeler)

I can't say anything about solids.

What i have learned about the horns we build, back loaded horns, there are only disadvanges to making the pretty curved ones, both sonically and in building them.

dave

Hi Dave, thank you for the reply.

I see Frugal Horns in your signature.....Frugal by name and ...perhaps, frugal in disclosure:) Don´t worry! I shall take the time to see your wares!

Stephen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.