Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

50K, 25K or 10K POT
50K, 25K or 10K POT
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2014, 02:30 PM   #1
javy is offline javy
diyAudio Member

Default 50K, 25K or 10K POT

Hi there guys,

I have a very quick question. My local electronics store is pretty limited and yesterday I needed a POT really quickly to test if my original POT was faulty and indeed it was. The original POT is 50K and the one I tested was 25K. This is a volume / on-off switch pot and was wondering if I should be ok with replacing it with the 25K pot I tested it with or should I go online and buy a 50K pot from HK/DaBay
Old 21st October 2014, 03:02 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

50K, 25K or 10K POT
Very quick answer It will be fine.
Old 21st October 2014, 03:16 PM   #3
javy is offline javy
diyAudio Member

Perfect. Thanks Mooly as always!
Old 21st October 2014, 03:27 PM   #4
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

50K, 25K or 10K POT
Your welcome.
Old 22nd October 2014, 12:07 AM   #5
Peter Pan is offline Peter Pan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Very quick answer It will be fine.
However, not to badmouth any local electronics store, especially since the number of them has dropped to perhaps "1" in many areas, and they are convenient. But if the local store you mean happens to do business under a name whose initials are RS, I will just caution you to avoid letting your "quick test" become a permanent repair. Perhaps they have improved, but I was very sadly dissapointed many times using their components, especially anything mechanical, in my projects. To many VERY per-mature failures.
Old 22nd October 2014, 12:25 AM   #6
javy is offline javy
diyAudio Member

Actually to my surprise when I found them, it's an actual mom and pop full throttle electronics supply shop. Old looking but they have pretty much everything and more. They are expensive compared to online but who isn't nowadays. I bought Philmore mono and stereo switch pots as that's all he had
Old 22nd October 2014, 12:37 AM   #7
Peter Pan is offline Peter Pan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javy View Post
Actually to my surprise when I found them, it's an actual mom and pop full throttle electronics supply shop. Old looking but they have pretty much everything and more. They are expensive compared to online but who isn't nowadays. I bought Philmore mono and stereo switch pots as that's all he had
WOW! A real bona fide private electronics shop! Well good on you for supporting them!
  Reply to this post

50K, 25K or 10K POTHide this!Advertise here!