Help needed to decide: DIY Active Crossover or Passive Crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As a newbie, I’m going to ask something I guess you can solve:

I built a 3 way speakers with passive crossover and now I’m planning a new 3 way system.
I started to work in a passive crossover, but maybe I can change to an active one.

I know there are some good equipments like miniDsp, but im planning a “fixed” active crossover with Operational Amps and fixed slopes and crossover frequencies, but I really don’t know if those kinds of crossovers will work with “real” speakers

The question is: Will the active crossover with OP Amps correct the slopes and resonance points and make the curves be as ideal as the are shown by their designers?

The other question is about the components: in the passive filters we have to choose good MKP capacitors that are not used in the active designs. Wil it work good?

I’m wondering about this kind of crossover:
Linkwitz-Riley Electronic Crossover

thank you everybody

With the system you are proposing the points are very simple.

Active will allow you to avoid having to correct/work against varying driver impedances.
Active will allow you to not worry about non-standard inductor and capacitor values.
Active will require more amplifier channels (possibly higher cost).
Active may need thump protection in your tweeter amplifier.

Neither active or passive will allow you to "correct the slopes and resonance points and make the curves be as ideal as the are shown by their designers" without proper thought to the acoustic design.

Thank you for your answer.

More amplifier channels is not a problem right now, the problem is how to correct the resonance points and slopes.

Now I'm about to measure the drivers in the cabinets, and with the frequency/response graph I was planning to calculate the passive filter.
I know how to calculate the crossover points for a 12dB slope active filter, but I don't know how to correct the resonance points or whatever could be necessary to do.

That's the question: what should I do to calculate a good active crossover?

thank you

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.