Long, narrow chassis for monoblock?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm having a really hard time finding a long narrow chassis to build a mono amp in. I can find slim chassis but they are all full width and I am using EI transformers so they are not an option. I don't want to put everything in one box and I don't need two hulking boxes to lug around either so full size is out of the question.

The style I'm interested in is like these, more or less

poa-s1.JPG

ns_monoblock_3.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Denon_POA-8000_3.jpg

I would prefer that it not have external heat sinks, I think they are tacky. If it does have a heat sink exposed it would help if it were only on one side, or else one will go unused. Anyone know where to find something like this? If they are scarce I'm not picky.

A local CNC laser job shop charged me ~$120 to cut out the panels for 6 cabinets from a 0.050" thick 4'x3' 5032 Aluminum sheet. This was basically their lot charge. I had to supply the material. You could probably cut 0.125" panels for a similar lot charge. Making it pretty is another matter. You can grain it manually (sand paper) but it may not have the machined look of their graining machine (another lot charge). I found a service mentioned here called Front Panel Express, but they look expensive. I would like to set up a service to do cabinets in lots that would distribute the costs and make it less expensive, but there does not look like there is enough interest. The biggest expense I have found in sheet metal is custom bending. Using extrusions can get around this, which is part of what Front Panel Express offers. There is a blog piece on EETimes that discusses this some more.

Low-Cost Cabinet Solution for Prototype Systems | EE Times

Hope this helps. Would like some feedback.

Custom Chassis Option

I tried posting a reply using "quick" but it did not seem to post. Apology if this becomes a duplicate.

A CNC industrial laser job shop local to me charged ~$120 to cut the panels for 6 different electronic enclosures from a 4'x3' 0.050" thick 5052 Al panel. This is basically their lot charge. I imagine you could cut 0.125" thick panels for similar costs.

Making bend in cut pieces precisely enough can prove to be a challenge even if you have access to a press brake. Easier to use extrusions, but using stock extrusions has aesthetic limitations and potentially sharp edges (depends if you put inside or outside). A service that I found here, Front Panel Express, has a "pretty" system but they are pricey from my perspective.

To use any of these you will need to design the cabinet in some for of CAD. Front Panel Express appears to have a free tool. I do not know how well it supports importing CAD models for components so that you can get holes to line up and check for interference.

There is another service option that I have proposed that would probably enable making the specific cabinet you want with a descent finish for about ~$85. So far not much interest. You can read about it on EETimes in the Prototype blog.

Hope this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.