normal speakers to water, impact proof speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When you say change the characteristics, what does it imply. Make it better?
Also, is silicon spray friendly to humans? the environment.

The thing is I want the speaker to be atleast resilient to damage during fall.
I was suggested to use marine plywood for the cabinet. will it suffice to also protect the speaker

Adding mass to the cone will probably lower the resonance so that could be better.

You would have to review the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the silicone spray to determine environmental or human interactions.

Mount it well and cover the front with metal type shield for external "poke" type damage.

Unless you surround the entire box with cushioning foam there will always be a height that will break it if dropped.

In the lab I used to do what is called "bench handling".

This test involved placing the unit on a thick plywood bench top and slowly tipping it over until it fell over...all sides/all directions. (electronic equipment - not speakers)

If your criteria is more than that then you really need a well braced box so that dropping it on corners does not stress it to the breaking point.

As for the speaker itself, 90 degrees to speaker line will bend or break the basket if sufficient force is applied. You could support the magnet assembly in the box to reduce or prevent this damage.

Good luck

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.