Need Comment For Mundorf M-Lytic AG caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am interesting for the Mundorf M-Lytic AG (10000uf 63v) for replacement my old Sprague 81D (6800uf 63v) on my PSU.

Would anyone can tell me what is the sonic quality different in between Mundorf M-Lytic AG and Sprague 81D?

Some people said the Mundorf M-Lytic AG sound bright. It is ture?

I like the sound transperant with a good dynamic.

Hope someone here can help me to find out the best caps which may suitable for my need.

Thank you,

Tom

In the last couple of years my opinion on smoothing caps has changed a little bit.

I am coming to the conclusion that any commercial electrolytic can do as the first stage smoothing.
The local decoupling handles all the MF and HF current demands.
This leaves the smoothing as just a recharging energy source for the local decoupling.

Now the potentially controversial point of view, the change in my thinking:
An amplifier that responds by "sounding different" by changing the manufacturer of the same value smoothing capacitors has decoupling that is not working properly.
It is either in the wrong place, or the wrong values, or the wrong cap types, or a combination there off.

If that extreme opinion is valid, then it points to "sort the decoupling" rather than play with the smoothing manufacturer.

I would go with a reputable manufacturer instead, like Panasonic, Nichicon, Samwha, Chemicon, etc. Mundorf seems to be a hobbyist company preying on audiophiles with fancy talk. All without the expertise of the big boys.

Well, not true. While I am not a fan of Mundorf at all as I find the caps way overpriced, one has to note that one of the oldest and largest capacitor factories in Germany produces the caps for them.

check these caps.. http://www.alconelectronics.com/images/pdf/PDF_NEW/PG-6DI_NEW.pdf

They have very similar specs of Mundorf and even the can looks very similar. When I used this the sound lost its attack. It was all smooth. I didnt understand why was this happening. Switched back to normal caps. The Alcon had good esr and esl ratings very close to Mundorf and now I am bit worried that even Mundorf sounds like alcon or do i need to use brighter sounding decoupling caps like either Muse or Cerafine?

Last edited:
I replaced Panasonic FM 2200uF/35v with Mundorf AG 4700uF/40v for pre-amplifier power cap. The sonic improvement is very obvious and very positive. Then, the power-amplifier's power cap were replaced from ELNA 10000uF/63v to Mundord AG 10000uF/63v. The sound quality keep the same good way, more richness, more 3D sensation, more silk-like and less hardness. Very good power cap!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.