Does this kind of switch/relay exist?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
**This application will be for source switching on a preamp**

Im wondering if there is something that can act as a switch or relay, but be controlled by a digital signal.

Basically something that looks similar to a CMOS switch with input and output but say a 8 bit digital signal from a microcontroller would control.

Ok...I think I'm understanding here. A CMOS switch is sort of what I would be looking at. It uses a high/low signal to activate the switch. So is there a difference between a "switch" and a "Multiplexer/Demultiplexer" , because TI has a quad channel "switch", but a 16 channel "Multiplexer/Demultiplexer".

Also with these CMOS/TTL switches, are they like there mechanical counterparts in that the signal just travels across some connection (like connecting two wires...)? So theres no freq limitations or anything, other than just the standard V and A limits.

The main reason for this question is because Relays are expensive when you start adding them up, and since most of the preamp would be PIC controlled anyways, it seems to make sense to make the switching controllable by the PIC directly.

Fantastic

I'll guess I'll answer my own question.

Maxim seems to have a real good application meeting these exact needs.

MAX4571 Serially controlled 11 SPST Audio/Video switch, with real low Ron resistence.

KEY FEATURES
Selectable Soft Switching Mode for "Clickless" Audio Operation
35W max On-Resistance
-90dB Audio Off-Isolation at 20kHz
-50dB Video Off-Isolation at 10MHz
-90dB Audio Crosstalk at 20kHz
-52dB Video Crosstalk at 10MHz
Serial Interface
2-Wire, Fast-Mode, I2C-Compatible (MAX4571/72)
3-Wire, SPI/QSPI/MICROWIRE-Compatible (MAX4573/74)
Single-Supply Operation from +2.7V to +5.25V

Ordered some samples, look to be about $3-$4 each.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.