Illustrated guide to the 4U deluxe Chassis

The screws on the deluxe feet are so short that you have no other real options... Even going only through the bottom cover I could barely get a hex nut on them. Also, don't try to replace the screw unless you're willing to completely remake the feet. The screws are just embedded in rubber.

Well, there's another challenge I just found with this chassis. Beyond the rack handle holes not being wide enough for the bolt heads, which I can confirm is still an issue.

I bought the 4U Deluxe Steel chassis and the back panel kit.

Everything was going swimmingly till I got to the speaker binding posts. The plastic "key" is slightly deeper than the rear plate, which won't allow me to actually tighten the biding posts down flush. They end up being quite wiggly.

Anyone else have this issue and how did you resolve it?

I had the same issue. I purchased 4 large nylon spacers and filed a notch on the inside so the key could fit. This allowed me to get the binding posts nice tight. You can get them from any big box hardware store.

That's likely what I'll have to end up doing.

I was hoping for something a little less tedious, but considering the rest of the chassis was pre-fab, at least one headache is to be expected I guess. :)

Which side of the rear plate did you put the spacers on, the inside or outside?

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Understood - thanks for the reply.

Any hints on how the special anti-vibration feet are attached?

(now on to my F5 board...)

You need to DIY the holes where you would like. The background reasoning for this always being this way is that some customers want 3 feet to create a tripod that doesn't wobble, and extra holes are undesirable. I would do it differently, but for now this is how it's done.

I have a question about the Deluxe 4U kit in the store - didn't see the answer searching the forum.

Does the black front panel also ship w/ the pre-tapped mounting + LED holes like the silver front panel? Apologies if this is not the appropriate avenue to ask this.

Great question. It does not (those features are not in the dropdown menu when you select between the silver and black). I've updated the description to be specific about this.

There are historical reasons for this, and one day we'll standardize on one option set or the other. I was always hoping to get around to sending out a survey and seeing what % of builders actually utilized the holes (which add to the price, and these panels are big and heavy, chewing up Hifi2000's valuable storage space). We might be rejigging the whole lineup in a year or so and this will get addressed properly then.

Well, there's another challenge I just found with this chassis. Beyond the rack handle holes not being wide enough for the bolt heads, which I can confirm is still an issue.

Interesting, I'll speak to Gianluca about this. They may not know about it.

I bought the 4U Deluxe Steel chassis and the back panel kit.

Everything was going swimmingly till I got to the speaker binding posts. The plastic "key" is slightly deeper than the rear plate, which won't allow me to actually tighten the biding posts down flush. They end up being quite wiggly.

Anyone else have this issue and how did you resolve it?

I had the same issue. I purchased 4 large nylon spacers and filed a notch on the inside so the key could fit. This allowed me to get the binding posts nice tight. You can get them from any big box hardware store.

The alu back panel is 3mm so there isn't much that can be done about this other than the DIY solution you've suggested or filing the notch back. Going to a 4mm panel would add expense for all chassis, so that's not a great direction. Those "notch" washers have been very hard to source. I'll make a note for the next batch of back panel kits to include some spacers, great suggestion.

Last edited:
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I bought the 4U Deluxe Steel chassis and the back panel kit... The plastic "key" is slightly deeper than the rear plate

I had the same issue.

I just worked this out. You both bought the steel version of the chassis, which has a 1mm steel rear panel instead of a 3mm alu rear panel. This is the source of the issue. I totally missed the fact you bought a steel chassis in my last message. We don't sell many of the steel version, and this is why we haven't had more people pointing this out. We'll try to find a suitable washer to include.

Check the head size of the screws before final assembly. Two of mine were slightly too big to fit the recesses.

Also, the bar between the two handle mounts was too short. The handles rattled up and down. I put some shaved pieces of cork into the bar recesses and that stopped the rattling.

I love the case, but am a bit dismayed at the lack of part QA from the vendor.
Thread revival!

I agree, there are many things which could be improved this is one I noticed today as I did the assembly. The top and bottom of the cases are rattle traps too. They need to have two tabs to put screws in the top and bottom in the middle. Also like to see a nut with thread welded to the support rails instead of a sheet metal screw. That type of fastener can cause metal shavings to fall inside the case... not ideal for electronics!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Binding Posts

Which binding posts work well? I’m looking at Cardas CCGR S or Dayton Audio BPFI-G. The BPFI-G looks too big in overall diameter, but it has the key tab to work with the slot. The CCGR S is designed to be mounted 3/4” on center, but the shaft looks too small for the cutouts in the back panel.

What’s everybody using?

Thanks in advance!
Glen

I use wago lever nuts. A low mass copper connection with better clamping than a binding post. Cheaper and better sounding too.

Why put all that metal and an iffy mechanical connection between your wires?

Attachments

• 20200723_072223.jpg
    20200723_072223.jpg
    978.9 KB · Views: 567
Joined 2011
Paid Member
The Zu posts should be a perfect fit for the Deluxe chassis and are keyed accordingly. Theoretically, copper has better conductivity but practically, there is little difference with brass being more robust.

Zu says there is copper content in the brass for better conductivity. I like that the spade connector is machined out of the billet too. These are nice and the price is right. I ordered four pairs to cover a couple of projects. Thanks!