Audionote copper mylar in oil failed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Don't forget the good old and still new available MKV capacitors. Original produced by Siemens (Germany). Later Siemens sold the MKV to Matsuhita and now Epcos owns it.

MKV are double metalized paper with polypropyleen dielectic. They sound super (Allen Wright from Vacuum State used them).

I still have much 0,22µF/900V MKV in my basement.

Ohh, and Siemens used the more reliable and even better sounding mineral oil :)

@ elstransformer: what type of siemens MKV do you have and can you describe the sound characteristic? I never tried old capacitor like siemens etc...but I do like very good sound..

Temporarily I use Dynamicaps (polypropylene cap) and Mundorf silver oil for replace shorted AN caps in coupling cap position but both of them can match the sound quality produced by AN. Then I use Jensen pio alu tube, also for temporary. I got the great sounds back but bit different characteristic from AN cap.
I received Jensen pio paper tube 2 days ago and definitely paper tube has better sound compared to alu tube (more detail) but again AN still have bit more glorious (bit bigger sound) and less high freq detail and air than Jensen pio paper tube but the later has more live sounds. I still waiting for the replacement from AN UK and want to compare it to Jensen pio paper tube because I heard from my diy buddy, a new AN cap have bit different sound signature from old production AN cap (also different dimension - a new one smaller).

After several time I compared different type and brand of capacitors...(haven't heard of Vcap CuTf and Duelund cast); I prefer to use paper in oil cap instead of polypropylene cap - even poly cap in oil still no better than pio..considering the price of Mundorf silver in oil or silver gold in oil have a close price and the last is more expensive than Jensen pio alu tube, still can't compete with Jensen pio alu tube. I use Mundorf silver in oil only in my loudspeaker x-over..

Last edited:
audio note copper mylar in oil leaking

just noticed a set of 4 of my audio note 0.22uf leaking..

disappointing. paid a lot for them. few years old.

they still measure OK though.. but too scared to use them.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    476.4 KB · Views: 319
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.