PGA2311 pre-amp static discharge problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:cop: Post deleted. Defeating safety grounds is always a stupid move, and such recommendations also fly in the face of general forum policy regarding the safety of devices connected to mains. The poster of this gem should be advised that further such recommendations will get the attention it deserves from moderation.

So glad I found this thread. I got the fully assembled version and noticed the static problem immediately. It was exactly as described above. Moreover, the problem would occur simply out of nowhere, which I'm thinking was static in the environment due to very dry air here.

The bursts pretty much traumatized my 6-year-old daughter. I was going to return the device, but the cost of shipping back to China was over $80. Pretty high even if they said they'd reimburse. So I settled for a "new CPU," but in the meantime I opened the box and noticed there was nothing tied to the ground pin on the mains input.

Not being an engineer, I thought maybe the scheme was a "chassis ground," i.e., there are items tied to the chassis, but I really couldn't be 100% sure. I suspected the problem still had to do with grounding. It just seemed odd to have nothing tied to that grounding pin.

So I think I will tie what appear to the points where the components are tied to the chassis to the ground pin at the mains input, along the lines suggested above. Does that make sense?

Not being an engineer, I thought maybe the scheme was a "chassis ground," i.e., there are items tied to the chassis, but I really couldn't be 100% sure. I suspected the problem still had to do with grounding. It just seemed odd to have nothing tied to that grounding pin.

So I think I will tie what appear to the points where the components are tied to the chassis to the ground pin at the mains input, along the lines suggested above. Does that make sense?

Yes it makes sense, but has it worked? I've grounded everything that can be grounded and I still have the problem but only when I play vinyl, usually when I remove the disc from the turntable, very occasionally during play :(

I'm out of ideas :confused:

I gave up and threw it in the trash. My approach seemed to solve the problem at first, at least when touching the front panel or volume control. But when I nudged the device, it must have gotten some kind of static charge on the inputs (or somewhere) and, bang, it happened again. The seller was kind enough to respond to my questions and even sent me a new CPU. But that had no effect, so I pitched it. No use to me, even though maybe that sounds a little silly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.