Preamp Capacitor Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am recapping my Adcom GFP-565 and was wondering what the forum members might recommend. My choices so far are:

Elna Silmic II
Panasonic FM
Nichicon Muse

The old capacitors are Panasonic.

I have decided on a cap (Panasonic FM). When measuring across the soldered leads of the caps in the preamp I find 7mm between the - and +. Should I go with a tapped lead of 5mm or stick to the 2.0mm leads?

I know this sounds trivial to some but this is my 1st project and with all the specifics dealing with components I want to make sure I get it right the 1st time.

What caps are you Replacing ??

The Panasonic FM would be good for the PSU and local filtering , the Nichicon Muse would be good for any Electrolytics that are in the signal path but generally you want to stay away from Electro"s in the signal path unless it is unaviodable which it many times isn"t .....
You could try replacing any Ceramics with good film caps .....

What caps are you Replacing ??

Sorry for not being more specific in my post. I am replacing all electrolytic capacitors. 15 in all.

The Panasonic FM would be good for the PSU and local filtering , the Nichicon Muse would be good for any Electrolytics that are in the signal path but generally you want to stay away from Electro"s in the signal path unless it is unaviodable which it many times isn"t .....
You could try replacing any Ceramics with good film caps .....

The electrolytic capacitors were my 1st line of business as they are nearing their 25th birthday. I have had trouble getting a schematic of my specific board but when I do it would be interesting to see what type of capacitors I have. At this point I cannot look at one besides the electrolytic to tell.

Thank you for responding to my post. I am getting disheartened a bit because I have been posting with questions in different sections but no one seems to care to help. I realize there are some members here who are "mega-nerds" (that is a compliment to them) on this stuff but how am I ever to learn if no one will answer a few simple questions.

Thank you for responding to my post. I am getting disheartened a bit because I have been posting with questions in different sections but no one seems to care to help. I realize there are some members here who are "mega-nerds" (that is a compliment to them) on this stuff but how am I ever to learn if no one will answer a few simple questions.

While I"m no expert in any stretch of the imagination I"m more than happy to help with whatever questions you have .....

Cheers

While I"m no expert in any stretch of the imagination I"m more than happy to help with whatever questions you have .....

Cheers

That is good of you and I fully appreciate it! One other question if I may. Upon receiving the capacitors are there reason to test them? At this point the only way I would have to do that is with my volt meter, seeing that they reach the proper level.

Kevin

Minion:

Yes! I have been studying up on that scenario and wish to avoid it by taking the common sense approach.

I have also read the safety thread on this board which was of help. Wife and friends may wonder about the one hand in the pocket but at the very least I can prevent them from getting to my money clip.

All is very good and thank you again for responding to my questions.

you don't need to test them, but you can put them through a reforming cycle. This allows one to check the leakage current.
After having done that the capacitor is then prepared for any tesing that you do decide to do.

All manufacturers specify the reforming and timing sequence as part of all their specifications.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.