New Ultra Low Phase Noise Oscillator from Crystek

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, it is impressive, especially for the physical and probably 'low' cost (vs. things that are better like ovenized oscillators, rubidium references, and GPS-disciplined versions of the previous two). However, close-in phase noise is no better than other Crystek units like the CCHD-950 series. Still every little bit helps, I'm sure. I don't yet see them at any of the distributors; it'll be interesting to see the price.

The old reliable HP10811 has -130dBc at 10Hz offset. Unfortunately, you'd loose some of that in a PLL multiplying it up to higher frequencies needed for digital audio.

David,

Read the spec sheet for the HP 10811 family or the Stanford Research rubidium frequency reference, or various other ovenized oscillators. The do have low phase noise and as far as I know, phase noise is not inherently a function of operating temperature within reason. As 'Tico' points out, ovenized don't come in convenient frequencies for audio. Some pro audio equipment or even high-end (DCS) equipment can take a 10MHz external reference, but you or I will need some sort of PLL setup to create audio-required frequencies and that may negate the benefits of the initial low phase noise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.