Noisy volume pot with some tubes but not others

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, guys!

I built a version of Andrea Cuiffoli's no-compromise headphone amplifier (pictures in the picture thread). Schematic at HeadWize - Project: No-Compromise OTL Tube Headphone Amplifier by Andrea Ciuffoli

I have the following small problem:

When using a WE 417A as voltage gain tubes, the volume pot is silent when turned. When I replace them with JAN-Raytheon 5842 tubes (recommended for this amp), I hear noise while adjusting the volume. The sound is great with both tubes and the amp is very quiet when the pot is not being turned.

Can someone with more experience than me help analyze this situation? It's not really a big deal, but it's something I don't understand.

Thanks!

This makes sense. When I was constructing the amp, a friend was skeptical about DC coupling of the input, but I ignored his advice since it worked so well with the WE tubes.

I guess this means that the Raytheon tubes have stronger grid leak than the WE... I will measure it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.