Mur860 Diodes discontinued by manufacturer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
till said:

is this really a good reason? I use MBR10100, reason enough??

I just wanted to say that many people build the same things as Peter, the same way as he does, use the same parts, and this, because Peter did so.
I have nothing against Peter! It's just that many people consider him as a "reference", that's why you see many MUR860 users.
In the other hand, Peter is one of the few guys (if not the only) that try many configurations, many different parts, and reports his results on this forum. So, the people who don't want to test 10 different diodes, 15 resistors... refer on Peter. That's quite normal

Peter, of corse i´m willing.

My statement was not intended against you or against the diodes you use, but against build something / build it in a way someone else does, without spending any thoughts about the reason. For me "Peter uses it" is no reason to build it same way, its only reason to think about try out this way, but also think about the alternatives. If we all only copy, no progress and inspiration is possible. I hope everyone got this right.

Else, are diodes, devices etc. in general "better" or "bad" because we tested them in one configuration? they may behave differen in another kind of amp, i´m sure the way a recifier influences the amp is different in class a and non class a amps. Or say in constant current amps / non constant current amps. And there may be a difference depending on the individual transformer you use, because the C of the diode may react with the L of your transformer.

Peter: i'm glad you're impressed ;) I was affraid you could see any critisism (right spelling?) against you

Till: of course it's not a good reason. But we must also realize that not all members here aren't diy purists, who want to try every possible combinaison. Some people want something "ready to build", peter's feedback is a good source for the guy who wants to use good parts, and not to select them.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Oscar said:
I don't want to start an objectivist/subjectivist flame war, or any variant thereof, but I'm curious; how do you compare for example different rectifiers?

Hi Oscar.

Gosh, I go away for 36 hours and this thread leaps from 5 to over 30 posts!

The comparisons in this case were made when I built a 5 channel IGC for a friends HT system. I decided to try the MURs after recommendations by Peter.

The comparison was done when I tested the first version by connecting it up instead of the normal channel in my stereo testbench GC. So the comparison was made in mono, with the same signal feeding both the amps, with the volume pot untouched. To me, the MURs sounded just a little closed in at the top end, not quite so sparkly. It wasn't a big difference, and I had no problems with using up the diodes in the amps I built, but I will certainly stick with MBRs in my OPA GCs

Peter, i have a BZLS in work, at the moment with the MBR10100, and a alephp 1.7 style volume control. Gainclones i did not build, because LM3875 etc. not easy to obtain here. I made experiments with OPA549 and other TI chips, but not seriosly, because i liked the Zen better than my flying wirded test chipamps. To tell the truth i like Zen lite sound very much. People seem to like different kinds of sound. Or its dependend on the kind of speakers you use.

Peter Daniel said:
A diode rated at 10A should be good for anything lower than 10A technically. The other thing is how it will sound in those low current applications.

For instance I changed the diodes in my Marantz CD-94 with MSR860 and the sound was terrible. I quiclt put the original ones back.

till said:
bricolo, you got my email? try out! better order 10 or 20 for start. There are also fine low current schottkys like http://www.onsemi.com/site/products/summary/0,4450,1N5819,00.html

i have no problems so far with the MBR10100 in BZLS, but not long time listening test until now. Some parts for the microcontroller circuit missing.
BTW, what are the original diodes in the CD94?

No, I didn't get your mail :( , my mail server is down, or wirking a day per week... you've got mail

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.