Tantalum Resistors...What's So Different ?.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to agree with raj1s basic description of the tantalum resistor sound. My experience is with the old shinkohs purchased circa 2000. Metal films have a more etched sound and detailing but to varying degrees are clinical and unnatural compared to the tants. The effect of tants if you closely analyze the actual sound is softening of the sound in some ways, less sparkle, but more natural and emotive and yes a similar effect to 2nd order harmonics. They are the best I have heard as input signal path resistors. They dont sound good everywhere else. I am curious about the new audionote non-magnetic tants though has anyone any experience with those?

Sorry for being 3 years late...
Does anyone found a resistor very similar to the Shinkoh sound? I have tested many ( but not AN tantalum), including Allen Bradley 2W and some Caddock, but none was so good.
The new Takman metal film are extremely transparent and bright, but miss the Shinkoh realism in low-mid spectrum. Does anyone have compared the new Takman carbon resistors to Shinkoh?
Best! Tino

Sorry for being 3 years late...
Does anyone found a resistor very similar to the Shinkoh sound? I have tested many ( but not AN tantalum), including Allen Bradley 2W and some Caddock, but none was so good.
The new Takman metal film are extremely transparent and bright, but miss the Shinkoh realism in low-mid spectrum. Does anyone have compared the new Takman carbon resistors to Shinkoh?
Best! Tino

Use a carbon composition resistor in parallel with a metal film one. The carbon composition unit should have about three times the resistance of the metal film one. You can adjust the ratio and brand of the carbon composition resistor to taste.

Another contender

Hi, thanks for this new info!
Did you tried them? If so, what results did you get?
Do you know if they are sold even in EU?

I have done more comparison with Takman Rey (metal) and Takman Rex (carbon) finding best sounding results for carbon type.
I also made a panel test of Takman carbon vs. AN tantalum non-magnetic vs. Shinkoh and all preferred Shinkoh by far. AN tant was slightly better than Takman Rex.
Btw, I bought Takman from the very expensive hificollective.co.uk and both Rey and Rex are non-magnetic. Then I bought some chep Takman Rey from ebay and their bodies were magnetic. The seller says that original Takman Rey (metal) are magnetic, but I didn't believe him. Anyone had tested if the Takman Rey are magnetic?

Ciao!
Tino

Hello Tino,
I've just checked the Takman rey I have here and they're not magnetic, I bought them from Parts ConneXion.
The datasheet also states that they are non magnetic.
I think the cheap ebay ones are fakes.

I was looking for some good resistors and I just found out of the new Tepro RAs,
so I haven't tried them yet, but they're are on my shortlist.

So far my shortlist is:
- Dale CMF60 or RN60 are non magnetic, not CMF55 RN55 those are often magnetic.
- the new Tepro RA
- the new Susumu RS, soon available at digikey
- Ohmite WN, miniature wirewound Non-Inductive, very good specs, for sale at Mouser
seems like an affordable version of the Rhopoint squaristor, econistor GG102 8G16A

Regards,
Danny

Miniature Ohmite WN are made with magnetic steel material.
I get them from Mouser last day's :bigeyes::)

Attachments

• CBE5B5FA-4126-473E-84DF-0A5E681EB615.JPG
    CBE5B5FA-4126-473E-84DF-0A5E681EB615.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 1,349
The issue of fake components being sold on Ebay has become quite complicated. Initially, it was fairly easy to avoid Chinese/HK counterfeit sellers. However it now appears that some unscrupulous sellers from other countries (including the USA and UK) are buying these counterfeit components and on-selling them as the real deal.

Dear Danny,
I use Dale RN60 and RN65 in my developing work: they are the best "cheap" resistor I have found up to now. But when I have to build the final prototype, I can't compare the sound of Dale with the other types I mentioned. They have just the "metal" sound that you would expect (high resolution, details but on the cold side and not much harmonics).
Takman Rey are better on that side, but Allen Bradley have a much more hiend result in my opinion. So Dale RN65 are my basic benchmark reference and I leave them to be used by companies like Spectral and Lamm...
Please, let me know how is the sound of the resistors that you will test. In particular, I'm very interested in the Ohmite WN, so that even Soundhappy will hopefully provide useful comments (on the sound effects, not only on magnetic properties).
Thanks to all of you!
Tino

Maybe hook up your scopes and see what's going on in the position you are where a change in resistor type brings a change in sound. I always heard the greatest difference between resistors in circuit with stability problems where the parasitics of the resistors changed the oscillation.

Dear Daniel,

with my instruments (including HP scope and R&S audio analyzer) I was never able to measure any electrical difference when changing a resistor type, but the sound changed. So I don't believe that we can really "measure" such differences.

BTW, can you post some examples of what you mean?

Maybe there is a misunderstanding. We can measure the differences I am talking about. Say you use a high transconductance tube like an E55L and use a metalfilm resistor as grid stopper. You hook up your probe to the cathode or anode and see oscillation at 2.3MHz. Then you change that resistor for a carbon composition and oscillation frequency changes to 8MHz and when listening it sounds different.
Then you properly get rid of the oscillation and suddenly changing from the one resistor to the another doesn't change sound anymore.

I've casually tried a range of resistors and doubt I could choose between them in a blind test. The thing I find interesting is that perceived signature seems to be the same in both signal and feedback positions. Intuitively I'd expect that the signature would be the opposite - a bright resistor in the signal path would soften the sound in feedback loop.

I'd like to agree with raj1s basic description of the tantalum resistor sound. My experience is with the old shinkohs purchased circa 2000. Metal films have a more etched sound and detailing but to varying degrees are clinical and unnatural compared to the tants. The effect of tants if you closely analyze the actual sound is softening of the sound in some ways, less sparkle, but more natural and emotive and yes a similar effect to 2nd order harmonics. They are the best I have heard as input signal path resistors. They dont sound good everywhere else. I am curious about the new audionote non-magnetic tants though has anyone any experience with those?
Not tech savvy, so can't understand everything in your post.
Will say we installed Caron Composite in the plate votage of my Defy7,, hummm, requested the tech place in the Takman Metal ~Rey~ ,,and sure enough the magic that Jadis had there before with metal resistors, came back.
I can verify your observation that the carbon Composite did ~~smooth/soften~~ the sonics,, but at a cost of fq separation, thus sound stage, As I say, i can esaily see why folks like the carbon composites for its ~~smoothness~, but considering the Defy has 6 6550's per channel, taht provides all the smoothness anyone could ever wish for.
The metal offer a bit more etched , sound, ~~harsh? , not with the fantastic Svetlana 6550's. which IMHO is the best power tube ever made.
Though I am sure one could esaily vote for your fav kt88.
Anyway, we will employ Takman Rey Metal in the jadis DPL 1st part of the circuit,
Richard likes to side with caution, and go slowly,
What i love about Takman is you can find nearly every value in the 1/2 watt and 1 watt. The only value missing is the 470K, for that I will go with the ~~Audio Note Tantalum~~ Made in Britain.
Takman 's are $1.50 each, the AN go for $17.
I need a quad of AN 470K.
Here is my question, how will the Tantalum's voice in that stage of the circuit?
Here is the DPL schematic
jadis.gif
Jadis-DPL-7 (1).jpg
Here is my recent upgrades to the DPL,
Come to find out as i brought pre home, is that 1 speaker has xover issues, which Madisound is now in the process of rebuilding new xovers with Mundorf Silver Gold caps M ultra resistors.
Previous were Hovland Caps, which the tech cked and found all good, both xovers will be up for sale.
So hard to say how the DPL repsonded with the new M caps, due to 1 weak xover.
But preliminary opinion is thumbs up, = a winner.

JADIS DPL MUNDORF SILVERGOLD CAPS - YouTube

I've casually tried a range of resistors and doubt I could choose between them in a blind test

I think there is some truth there.
But pre knowing which resistor is employed, one can surely tell which one is prefered to ones system/components.
I never cared for *warmth/smoothness* I like edgy/detailed, ~fq separation~ some may say ~harsh~.
Softness/warmth/smooth ain't my cup of tea.
Thus Metal is my ideal resistor.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.