3.5mm Stereo to Mono w/ Channel Switch?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey people,

I am planning on running two sound sources into a Mono Voice Recorder and was hoping that I could find or build an adapter that will:

Turn 3.5mm (or 2.5mm) Stereo into Mono, with a switch on the adapter to switch between left and right signal.

Does such a thing exist? What would I need to search to find one? I can deal with Stereo to Stereo connectors, so long as I can switch between left/right signals. Of course, a 3 way switch with balanced mono in the center would be preferred.

Thanks guys.

You can build one in a tobacco tin or 'project box'. Use 2 switches, one to break left connection, one to break right. Connect L & R signals via a (say) 10k resistor each to the mono in. You can have L, R or both. 10k is probably OK, you might need 100k instead, or nothing, depends on what the source is and what the input impedance of the recorder is. Just try it, you're unlikely to break anything.

w

Great,

I might be making an impedance matching box, so that would be a possible solution. Would killing either of the channels change the impedance? I'm going to be using homemade PZT and Electret Microphones.

I guess, more simply, do any 3.5mm adapters out there have a built in pan-dial or pan-switch? Could I make a cable with one incorporated?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.