Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Best caps for power supply?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2010, 10:18 PM   #1
neong is offline neong  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Best caps for power supply?

Hi, I have a power amp in which I want to upgrade the power supply caps (bigger and better than the original ones) and I want to understand which is the best cap between Mundorf M-Lytic, Vishay BC Components, Panasonic FM and Kendeil.
I think that the most important parameters are ESR, ESL and ripple but I can't find the data of all of this products so I'd like to hear your opinion, thanks
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:44 AM   #2
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

Just install some additional capacitors of the same or greater voltage rating in parallel. Preferably, add some to provide bypassing where the power supply connects to the output transistors or IC.

Beware that too much capacitance might prevent the power supply from starting up. It can be worked around by slowing down the soft start rate, but doing so may involve a lot of reverse engineering and modification.
Old 3rd July 2010, 07:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ok, but I'd like to know which one has the best features between Mundorf M-Lytic, Kendeil, Vishay BC Components and Panasonic FM
Old 3rd July 2010, 09:19 AM   #4
Atilla is offline Atilla  Norway
diyAudio Member

The datasheets are all online, download them and check the parameters - ESR, ripple current, expected lifetime, etc.

You probably won't find that much difference there though.
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:09 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've wrote in the first message that I can't find all the datasheet, I've asked an opinion for that reason
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I can't answer which is better between those choices, but I've always been happy with the Panasonic FM series. Low ESR and they just seem to work. A lot of other people like them too.
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:47 AM   #7
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Neong, it might help if you specify size and voltage as well. The panasonic FM's max out at 1000uf 50V so depending on the voltage you need and the size they may be out of contention before you start.

The M-Lytics sound good from the sales pitch, but they are expensive. Haven't tried so can't comment.

Vishay BC is rather broad, they have many different models of caps some may be more suitable than others. I've not ever looked at the specs on any Kendeil caps.

I ended up going for Nichicon KG's (yet to be installed) based on a recommendation by a well respected amp designer, and because they seem to be relatively good value for money.

Those mlytics do sound kinda nice though if money isn't an object, whether it is a case of diminishing returns (or just plain marketing) though I couldn't say.

Tony.
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:04 PM   #8
bobodioulasso is offline bobodioulasso  Europe
diyAudio Member

Vishay - Capacitors - 106 PED-ST - Aluminum Capacitors Power Eurodin Screw Terminals
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:08 PM   #9
audi0 is offline audi0  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

I have tried M-lytics, Panasonic FM's and Nichi FG's and found them all to be excellent. A good comparison by Eric Juaneda is here: High End Audio - Electrolytic capacitors
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thank you all

@audi0:
beside the fact that they are all good have you noticed any sonic differences between them?

I also remember that I have to use them for the power supply, not on the signal path.

Actually the amp has 8 80 V 10.000 uF caps, so 40.000 uF for channell, too few. I want to upgrade to 60.000 or better 80.000 uF for channell, so I have to choices: to use bigger caps (say 22.000) in the same number of the original ones, so I can use the same board or make a completely new board with 16 caps 10.000 uF each.

Last edited by neong; 3rd July 2010 at 12:37 PM.

Best caps for power supply?Hide this!Advertise here!