Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Best caps for power supply?
Best caps for power supply?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2015, 01:57 PM   #31
irribeo is offline irribeo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Could be air under plastik cap on top of capacitor too, doesn't have to be bulging capacitor, +/- voltages are the same?
Old 31st August 2015, 02:01 PM   #32
Learnincurve is offline Learnincurve  Norway
diyAudio Member

Yes both rails at 55v (+-)

Running finger over plastic cap I feel a definite hard lump, towards the middle. Steeper (more pointed) in shape than the bulge in the plastic cover.
Old 1st September 2015, 10:11 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Anyone tried Elna Tonerex in this context? Admittedly still 85 degrees.

I just saw these
Old 1st September 2015, 10:15 AM   #34
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

I had one fairly cheap 15mF 63V Nichicon that after some amplifier testing as one of a group of six that appeared to have a bulge. Since I had many spares I swapped it out.
Ran a leakage test and a capacitance check and it appeared to be OK. I still have it on the shelf some years later.
Maybe another couple of checks are worth while.
Maybe a long term charge at 60 to 63Vdc would prove something?
I don't know if I was overly cautious.
Old 1st September 2015, 10:21 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Hi Andrew,

You may well be right that swapping them out, purely on the basis of the bulge may be unnecessary. My reasoning was that the electrolytics should probably go after another couple of years anyway and that it would be an excuse to do the job a little earlier. While I'm, at it, I'll probably swap out all the signal path caps with silmic's and may raise the capacitance of the psu caps.

Anyway, the amp sounds okay, so I may well leave it for at least another few months, but good to know what to go for when I finally do tackle it.
Old 1st September 2015, 11:37 AM   #36
irribeo is offline irribeo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

In a 40 year old Cambridge Audio amp, made in St Ives England, I found rails to differ ~1 volt, so like +55V and -54V, that appeared to be the two huge 4700uF's. To "improve" a modern Cambridge Audio, I wouldn't source components from China, or Ebay(like) places.
Old 1st September 2015, 12:21 PM   #37
arnyk is offline arnyk  United States
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by irribeo View Post
In a 40 year old Cambridge Audio amp, made in St Ives England, I found rails to differ ~1 volt, so like +55V and -54V, that appeared to be the two huge 4700uF's. To "improve" a modern Cambridge Audio, I wouldn't source components from China, or Ebay(like) places.
The 1 volt difference could have nothing to do with the filter caps.

For example, the power transformer windings may be matched well enough for their purpose, but they are not perfect. Wisdom may suggest moving on... ;-)
Old 23rd August 2019, 04:21 AM   #38
audiohed is offline audiohed  Canada
diyAudio Member

I read a blurb in another, ahem, forum recently in which it was stated that by far the biggest improvement in the overall sound is achieved by upgrading the filter caps to really good ones. He said that putting better caps in the pre or power amp section had far less effect(?) Doesn't make sense to me. I would think that what's in the signal path is most critical, good film caps and 1% metal foil resistors. Aside from the "sag" produced by undersized caps under heavy load, It's job is to supply steady, clean DC, period. Is a slight bump in ripple current, ESR, or whatever you call it, noticeable? What sayest the panel??

Last edited by audiohed; 23rd August 2019 at 04:32 AM.
Old 23rd August 2019, 04:51 AM   #39
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

This thread has not had new info in 4 years, what makes you think that will change now?

Plus itīs a worn to death argument, do a little search,tons of reading material in this very Forum.

Best caps for power supply?Hide this!Advertise here!