Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Best caps for power supply?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2015, 09:08 AM   #21
Learnincurve is offline Learnincurve  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Sorry to hijack this old thread. Please ask me to create a new one if that is more appropriate. I'm looking to replace the bulged power supply caps in a cambridge Azure 640R receiver. These are from 2007 and are custom "Cambridge Audio" 71V 15000u 105 deg.
I have seen several posts claiming that Cambridge power supply caps from this period are probably quite poor quality and should be replaced anyway. Question is by what? 15000u caps are not available in many of the preferred types for audio. Pnasonic FC's seem also to have been discontinued. What is the consensus for:

1. Sound should be at least as good as the original if not better.

2. Price and value are important

3. Can I go up in uF (22 000) without side effects?

I haven't measured the physical dimensions of the originals, but height is less limited than width.

Cheers!
Old 28th August 2015, 09:14 AM   #22
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

similar questions but a different Thread !
AV receiver dilemma
Old 28th August 2015, 09:19 AM   #23
richie00boy is offline richie00boy  United Kingdom
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

I'm surprised you didn't rebuke him to look at the thread next to his in this same forum Andrew
Old 28th August 2015, 09:29 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

okay. point taken. But subject is different. Sorry If I broke any rules.
Old 29th August 2015, 04:10 PM   #25
apogee lover is offline apogee lover  England
diyAudio Member

Take a look at the HiFi Collective website and in particular the 4pole slit foil caps by BHC and Supertech.These are the best caps out there at the moment.I say that because the legendary Rubycon Blackgates are about to be remanufactured.
Old 31st August 2015, 07:41 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Thanks Apogee lover.

I took a look at the website. Actually the main problem seems to be in finding anything with similar parameters to the original:

snap-in
15000uF (or more)
71V. max.
105 deg. temp rating.

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
Old 31st August 2015, 09:33 AM   #27
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

something like this LKG1K153MKZ Nichicon | Mouser if you can find stock, and dimentions are compatible would probably fit the bill.

edit: or a cheaper alternative http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...m%2fSYjoo9w%3d

Tony.

Last edited by wintermute; 31st August 2015 at 09:35 AM. Reason: add SMH
Old 31st August 2015, 10:28 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Yes,

I was wondering about Nichicon KG,
Nichicon KG Type | Hifi Collective

But these, and the LKG's you mention are only rated up to 85 deg. C. The caps are close to the main, output stage heatsink and may be subject to high temperatures. This could be why the originals, rated at 105 deg. are already blown after 8 years??
Old 31st August 2015, 12:35 PM   #29
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

OK yes that could be an issue. The life of a cap at their max rated temperature is not that long (typically between 2000 and 5000 hours). At temperatures less than their max rated they last a lot longer. I would hope that they wouldn't be seeing temps greater than about 60deg C but if ventilation is not great maybe it gets hotter. But a 105 deg cap should last a lot longer than an 85 deg cap at 60deg.

I guess it comes down to what sort of temp they are actually seeing, and why the originals failed (as 8 years is pretty short life for PS caps). 71V is an odd voltage rating, what voltage are the rails on the amp? Maybe the problem is that the caps were not very conservatively rated and were actually working close to their limit...

Tony.
Old 31st August 2015, 12:57 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hmm... Rail voltage is +- 55V. so not that conservative.

As the unity is secondhand, I'm not sure about ventilation. The top was quite discoloured, which might suggest that it was running warm for some time?

Having said all that, the unit sounds pretty good to me, so the only indication I have that the caps are shot is the bulging of the tops, but I'd rather change them now than wait for them to die completely, maybe bringing down other components as they go.

Best caps for power supply?Hide this!Advertise here!