Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Best caps for power supply?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2010, 12:37 PM   #11
audi0 is offline audi0  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

I can't really give a definite judgement between the types that I have tried because they were in different pieces of equipment, what I can say is that I found them to be more dynamic than cheaper off the shelf items
Old 3rd July 2010, 02:52 PM   #12
Conrad Hoffman is offline Conrad Hoffman  United States
diyAudio Member

IMO, data sheets won't help you much. They give the maximum values but the actual performance of the caps will depend on how conservative the manufacturer is in rating them. Hardly anybody does comprehensive measurements so all you're left with is anecdotal opinions based on caps that might have been correctly specified and applied, or not. Some questions don't have definitive answers.
Old 4th July 2010, 12:16 PM   #13
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Very true, Conrad, very true...
Old 4th July 2010, 06:58 PM   #14
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't forget Jensen.

Some of their caps are competitively priced.
Old 5th July 2010, 05:50 PM   #15
johnYks is offline johnYks  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hope that this is of some use

EPCOS SIKOREL if you can afford them !

also Elna cerafine_if you can find them?

JENSEN Four pole.

This site is a good read_the Naim section in particular
Just one thing about music - when it hits you feel no pain

DIYAUDIO member elviukai site had a good subjective evaluation
of various types_an honest opinion for what its worth....
http://highend.projektas.lt/

Yours Sincerely
John

PS
I can't get his site to come up for me_but this is what he had to say

9.Epcos Sikorel 105.

photo
Click for larger picture

The impressive data(very low Tan factor,high temperature ability,and stability,high current ripple,special materials used and patented process prevents from inductance and resistanse.) makes this cap usable in medicine,audio,and professional equipment. the size of the cap is a pain when planing suplies-

photo
Click for larger picture

Sikorel- 4700uf/ Nichicon-2x2200uf /Nippon-chemi-con -10 000uf

photo
Click for larger picture

To be true- this is king of capacitors. By all means its outperforms all previously mentioned caps ,leaving them behind. Excellent transparency,detail, but realy what impressed me its dynamic and speed . Its amazing how they differs from other tested caps. Yup,they are expensive when you planning about 150 000uf and up capacity but they still cheaper than to build batteries for this kind of amp. I did experiment - reduced capacity by half and the amp did not sound very undynamic or discorted. When I repeated the same with other caps I immediately noticed that amp is "hungry" and distorted especially on low dynamic passages. The inrush current seems is slightly smoother with them comparing with others caps.
Very highly recommended on high budget or lower power amps.
97%

10.Siemens Sikorel

Last edited by johnYks; 5th July 2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 5th July 2010, 07:19 PM   #16
Kurt von Kubik is offline Kurt von Kubik  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Kurt von Kubik
I do not think finding the best elcap is so simple, because what is called upon can be very different from amp to amp.
Lately Ive been building a switched mode amp, which has a PSRR out of this world, but a lot of experiments showed that low ESR had a large impact on sound quality.
In other experiments my experience was somewhat different, as i.e. Silmic actually is a well sounding cap, as well as Rifa PEH 169, Epcos Sikorel and others. But in the switch amp case they were not.
So some amps need certain parameters to be optimized, and others need different properties.

But the ultimate solution Ive ever heard was NO ELECTROLYTICS. Utilising shunt regulators eliminate the need for caps, and I swear by the god almighty, that you will never miss any of them.
They are actually terrible all of them, so if possible avoid them.
Another tip is to make one - and just one bypass both after rectification and after regulation. Use polyphenylenesulphid for that purpose, and use as large values as possible.
Polyphenylenesulphide is normally only recommended for very high temperature operation, but I found out that i.e. Evox also recommends them for audio, which amongst other things made me try them out.
IMHO they are by far the most neutral sounding cap Ive ever heard, and they dont seem to have any intrinsic colour ending up in SQ, when used for decoupling and i n some cases also for filtration, when cleverly done.

Just try it out.
Old 5th July 2010, 07:59 PM   #17
zebra100 is offline zebra100  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Panasonic FC or FM (depending on the application) electrolytics are as good as any in the power supply. A completely different matter in the direct signal path though......

Chris.
Old 8th July 2010, 04:53 PM   #18
neong is offline neong  Italy
diyAudio Member

Ok, thank you all, I'll come to the point:
I'll be working on this (not me really, a friend of mine who is aDIYer of itself): Thomann Amp TA2400:

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

We will put it in a better enclosure (HiFi2000 Pesante Dissipante 3U), change all the cables with better ones (silver/Teflon for the signal), substitute or remove all those white ceramic resistors, substitute all the resistors on the signal path with at least Dale 1% or better and remove all the secondary cards (the ones on the output and the ones for the 2 knobs: we will simply put gain at max, without any knob, I'll regulate volume from the pre amp), but most important of all, we will substitute entirely the power supply section:

- We are thinking to use Mundorf M-Lytic HC (which have the best ESR and ESL values of all) in this way:
4 22.000 uF 80 V
2 10.000 uF 80 V
and finally 2 10 uF 800 V Mundorf MCap Supreme

do you have some suggestions for the bypass caps for this section?

- We are also thinking about Silver/Mica on the feedback loop, do you think that teflon tin foil, polystyrene caps, paper in oil caps or mylar caps (like the russian PETP) will be better here?

- For the rectifier section we think to follow Nelson Pass idea and so not use Schottky ultra fast diodes: we are thinking about normal diodes, like KBPC, each one with a Wima MKP 10 for filtering, do you think something else would be better?

-For the smoothing circuit we are thinking about Elna Silmic II or Epcos Sikorel LL, do you have different suggestions? And which caps to use for bypassing them?

- Finally we still don't know if this PA is direct coupled or not, in the second case we have to decide coupling caps

Last edited by neong; 8th July 2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 9th July 2010, 04:08 PM   #19
neong is offline neong  Italy
diyAudio Member

No one?
Old 10th July 2010, 08:53 AM   #20
Pocoyo is offline Pocoyo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi

BGN or FK is one my of dream
solder several of them to make 10.000 or 20.000uf

Siemens Sikorel for the best supply
if you can afford use it

Philips (blue) sound so sweet for supply

Nichicon Muse KG "super through" good for supply

Elna family cerafine, for audio/stargate has reasonable
price & good value for money

Best caps for power supply?Hide this!Advertise here!