Recommend SMD resistor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having the correct resistor for the circuit position is what's required. Bigger isn't always best, but ensuring critical resistors are used well within their power rating is. On sensitive analogue with SMD layout often SMD SOIC IC's are used so to keep feedback loops small 0603 resistors are most often used.
There are many precision SMD resistors in true SMD footprints (0603, 1206 etc) that will do the job. What you need to do is determine the correct resistor for each circuit position, work out the power dissipation for each resistor then de-rate by 50% minimum, determine what percentage tolerance you require for each position etc. During layout make sure there is no heating of any critical resistors by other circuitry and if required add heatsinking to the resistor (larger pads, connection to a copper flood etc.). Some circuitry can be sensitive to external noise so these loops often benefit from the loop area as small as possible.
Personally I am not a fan of milf resistors or any milf component for that matter, a halfway attempt at early SMD devices (ie a PTH resistor body with no legs) a pain to pick up and place...
These days automotive grade components will give you better temp ranges, though today the choice is endless.

Thanks for the input, but my initial question was unclear... I'm looking for good sounding SMD resistors :) (read: well balanced and not getting into the way of good sound).

I read complaints about the soundquality of SMD resistors and that the Nickel Barrier wraparound would be to blame, but that the MELF resistors didn't had the problem. Recent NiChrome SMD resistors would be decent (like the RG from Susumu)

Personal experience that marked me the most was the IV resistor in my dac where different resistors made huge differences. I ended up winding my own with manganin wire. Usually I just use RN55 or takman metal film in more critical positions (direct signal path). But than all this is with leads...

people getting goosebumps right now really do not need to feel the urge to comment, it is just a hobby after all :D

Er well I do layout for instrumentation analogue digital circuits, these all have SMD resistors these days. My previous comments were a reference to the care we take in choosing and laying out resistors in these type of circuits. What works for them will work for audio, the point is to minimise the possible negative effect of any component in the signal chain, this is often more difficult when a bit of kit has to work at quite wide temperature ranges. Discrete components should not have an influence on the circuit that is below a certain required level otherwise there is a problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.