Can you tell me about these zero autoformers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, not likely to find many buyers on this forum but the guy is amazingly honest in his discourse - no attempt to hint at superior knowledge or paranormal phenomena. The autoformers surely do something for the sound, even if i am a bit sceptical about their total transparency. We should be thankful for the experimenter's tips on the site; seems like a really simple job to wind a similar pair. As to pricing - charge whatever the market is willing to pay - anyone has a problem with that?

cheers
peter

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Read the company history, please.

The owner, Paul Speltz, proposed this as a solution to Atmasphere OTL owners at first.
Afterwards he probably realised the market niche for it and stepped into business with it.

Not a bad idea but overpriced from where I'm sitting...than you may ask yourself, what's the point of having an OTL amp if you need a xformer anyway?

Well, the short one on that is that OTLs aren't really fit to drive low impedance speakers ( though much better than most people think as long as the impedance is fairly constant) and Circlotrons aren't that good an idea for an OTL either...hence the Zero.

Cheers,;)

i read the site, and feel it is very usefull for tubes in se and otl but not for the price:)
the difference between a toroid and the zero autoformers is that the zero is design for audio band, most toroids do reach high frequencies but they sound little edgey on the high stuff. This comes from experience in using them and from a friend who uses this also in phase splittering and input transformer.
The good thing is the dampening factor would increase as a high load is present. Similar to increasing the impedance ratio of a tube output trans. Many people prefer using a high impedance transformer as it gives better control of the music
I think i have a transformer that is 2:1, i going to try out and see the benefits.
I speculate that my power would drop using tube pp but should get much better dampening factor.
I would report back on this

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.