Identify Audio Taper Potentiometers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some 50k ohm audio slide pots and I don't know which end to ground.
Can someone tell me about audio taper pots? If I put the slider in the center then what should the resistance be from center to ground and the resistance from center to the audio input terminal?
Is there a better way to determine the taper of a pot and identify the terminals?

Thanks,
Russell Williams

If you put the slider exactly in the center, you should measure about 25kΩ between the 'center' (wiper) and ends (legs) if it's linear taper. I think that most slide pots have a linear taper.

If you measure significantly less (probably around 2kΩ) or more (probably around 45kΩ) than 25kΩ, then you probably have an audio taper (log taper) pot. Which one of those you measure depends on which 'leg' you use as reference.

Thank-you very much, Don Hills.
That is very interesting.
I had a slide rule once (log log decitrig) and I noticed that 3 was close to the middle.
Relating the audio curve of the ear's sensitivity to a log scale is mind boggling to me.
Thank-you so much for the help.
Russell Williams

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.