Your input/suggestions for high-quality terminal cup?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my first post. I am making small loudspeaker enclosures and for the (spade) terminal cup I have about 3.75"x2.25" to work with. Any suggestions about where i can look on the internet? What do you suggest for materials? Cardas (not using) coats their spades with "rodium" or some such thing which (apparently) principally does not react with other metals. Should I look at this?

given your size constraints, you can't use a round cup. I find those to be the easiest, and I flush mount them with my jasper jig. I buy the cheap $4 ones from madisound and remove the marginal connectors from it (they are reasonably high quality, but impossible to use spades with), and I replace them with superior electric 5-way binding posts.

Sheldon

stoked: forgive me but what are 5-way binding posts? link me if you can for clarity

Joe Dirt: ha ha! loved that movie (well it was funny anyhow), okay by plates you just mean any old plastic material with holes drilled in it? and what/where can I get "superior" insulated binding posts? I want to be able to fasten the &%# out of them.

thanks for your responses!

Standard hex nut binding posts (see attached image)

The problem with many of the cups purchased from madisound, parts express, etc are that the connectors don't accept standard sized spades. The ones from madisound look nice but the center bolt is sized to accept 4 gauge bare wire and thus is huge, and standard spades don't fit on it. I use the plastic cup and replace the connectors.

Attachments

• vbh.jpg
    vbh.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 153
I'm old school on my connectors. I love the Superior Electric 5-way binding posts. There aren't anything better in my opinion. I've tried a lot of audiophile types and I keep going back to them.

I also like the terminal strips on tube amplifiers. In terms of connection quality with good quality small spades, it's hard to beat.

I should get into the 80's and start using Neutrik Speakon connectors. But I use a lot of vintage amplifiers...

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.