Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

IC Supply Caps
IC Supply Caps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2010, 05:36 PM   #1
argonrepublic is offline argonrepublic  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default IC Supply Caps

I am assembling a circuit using INA217 and DRV134. Texas instruments recomends .1uF on the power legs of the INA217 and 1uF on the legs of the DRV134. What type should I use? Datasheet does not specify a polarity on these caps but I did see another project that used polar electrolytic.
Old 17th February 2010, 11:05 PM   #2
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

You would use Non Polarized Caps , Like Poly film , Electrolytics don"t come in 0.1uF values and only Electrolytics (and tantalum) are Polarized , For the 1uf if you use Electrolytics you would for the Positive Rail put the Caps positive to the Positive rail and negitive to ground and for the negitive rail put the negitive of the Cap to the Negitive Rail and the Positive of the Cap to Ground ......

Cheers
Old 18th February 2010, 03:29 PM   #3
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
I have seen 0.1uF electrolytics. I have no idea why they even made such things.

the caps in the datasheet are most probably monolithic ceramic caps they are available up to 22uF or so (in SMD). those are supply bypassing so they need to have good HF performance. ceramics are good at that.

IC Supply CapsHide this!Advertise here!