Potentiometer Overview - Alps, Penny+Giles, TKD and Vishay and more, what's your fav?

Penny & Giles RF15

Den Penny & Giles RF15 habe ich noch 2 Stueck neu, Stereo und 10K , unbenutzt in Plastik Beutel. Das Kanister behalte ich selber.

Nicht billig aber Perfect und bester Ersatz oder fuer Original Reparatur zum Mark Levinson ML-7, ML-10, Swiss Physics, Aragon u.v.A. top Vorstufen.
Den im Photo habe ich in meinen JC-2 montiert und functioniert wieder wie neu un vielleicht besser als mit den alte nicht-P&G Poti.

Gruss,

Mariogert
Niederlande

Attachments

• P-G RF-15 ML-7.jpg
    P-G RF-15 ML-7.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 551
"FWIW, Cyril Bateman measures cermet as being 20 - 50 times worse in distortion than carbon or conductive plastic (WW Dec 2003)."

The construction of a cermet pot is exactly the same as a metal film resistor, as far as I know. Have I been wrong for using metal film resistors all this time?

They are called 'Sfernice'. The firm got bought up (as with every decent OEM) and amalgamated into the Vishay hegemony. They are white. The feel is horrible. They were used in a lot of studio gear, large format consoles in particular. Studio techs dreaded them. Clarostat 16mm were mugh nicer in feel and durability - but then Vishay bought them as well. Sfernice were used for decades in studio gear, and this is the first time I've *ever* seen someone praise them for 'sound quality'... A firm I worked for used them. Grim little things. Never liked them. Not due to sound (I don't believe pots have a sound) - but the feel is awful and ruggedness is crap. AMS-Neve used them in their V series - except for the Japanese market, who got the good stuff, i.e. Claro.

Oh yeah - a classic failure mode with the 16mm white Sfernice is seizing in one position. You sometimes come across strips out of studio consoles where this has happened, and one of the little m***s has jammed at, say, 2 o'clock. The most annoying thing would be if you were working on a recording session and needed that channel...

Attachments

• DSCF7030.jpg
    DSCF7030.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 253
  • DSCF7028.jpg
    DSCF7028.jpg
    983.2 KB · Views: 244
  • DSCF6989.jpg
    DSCF6989.jpg
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 240
Last edited: