Best electrolytic capacitors

Rifa's 169 and Sikorels (Epcos B41550/B41570) sound about the same. Haven't tried FTCaps but Mundorf AGs (made by FT for Mundorf) although not fully broken are quite different, on the good side they have more quiet background but it seems that Rifas/Sikorels are more tonally correct.
I would stick with either of them especially if space permits.
Still I'll be tempted to try FT GMs in my future amp because they have the specs and the price is quite nice

I didn't compare AGs to GMs, most probably they are related to SI/SIH/SIG line of FT. The GMs are big boys just like 169s and Sikorels and they share the same good specs.
Do tell us your findings. Epcos/TDK are stopping Sikorels this year so we'll be left with less choices, it would be great if GMs turned out to be in the same league sound-wise.

Are Rifa PEH169 and Kemet PEH169 the same capacitors?

Anyone sells Rifa in the USA?

I already did find out that Kemet bought Rifa, and that Mouser sells Kemet.

But they do not stock the PEH169, and they cost as much as the Sikorel.

Hi Fi Collective, in England, has some PEH169 models. Though for the 15000uF that I was looking for they only have the 100v version, which is larger.

The Kemet (Rifa?) capacitors Mouser has stock of are these models:

ALT22A153DE063 KEMET | Mouser

ALS30A153KE063 KEMET | Mouser

How do they compare, in sound quality, with the Sikorels or other good large caps?

Still I'll be tempted to try FT GMs in my future amp because they have the specs and the price is quite nice

Who stocks those FT GMs and what's their price?

Im about to go to a technician today.

What capacitors etc. should be used in an upgrade for a Threshold FET nine if it has to be an upgrade in sound, but still of great value?.. Nelson mentioned the ELNA silk ones, which seems like a good choice price-wise, and sound-wise (for my taste).

But what needs to be upgraded after 32 years in service of the unit itself and the powersupply? If you have a good idea, please write what needs to be changed and which capacitors etc. to go with.

.., hopefully he has the right capacitors etc. you would suggest or can get them. Im NOT sure he i a hifi-dude, so therefore I would like to know a bit before going there.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hi Renhec,

You should read the whole thread, if no time you should read this Hi guys, I want to know if I could recap my preamp by myself?

In your shoes I will avoid Elna Silmic II here. Btw there is no improvment possible without many tests and swaps and listening control cause any different capacitor change the sounding of the gear. Best is to choose the same part than the former.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Renehc,
Nelson designed it. Nelson knows what he prefers and was his sonic target.

I don't believe in each capacitor having its own sound. THe small ones - yes. But it is the sound of the entire family, not the name printed on the outside.

The larger capacitors generally last a long, long time unless abused (temperature and current). The best way to test them is to use an oscilloscope and look at the waveform across them. If they have swollen or vented, they're junk. Note that the plastic cover on the other end often bows out. Press down with your finger and you will feel the flat metal surface underneath - those are perfectly fine.

If your technician is a good one for audio systems, you might not want an audiophile, or even worse, someone who blindly follows what he reads in the forums. What he does need is good test equipment in good repair. A good stock of parts in labeled drawers along with various chemicals and a large assortment of tools and jigs he has made. Could be a she as well. He absolutely does need a distortion analyser (a good one), a good bench meter and a two channel scope (at least) good for 100 MHz or better. A ton of data books are a good sign, as are service manuals and schematics. A computer on the bench is a must these days as well. I could go on, but the better the tech is, the more likely it is that he'll have a wide assortment of test equipment and component testers. He should know about matching transistors too.

All the preceding requirements thins the herd quite a bit. There is normally only a few good techs per city, sad to say.

-Chris

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Take 7 caps and you have not The Platters !

Wow, one hour of such a tech may cost more than the hifi gear needing to be fixed Not saying that after the many scopes measurements he has to find his musician equivalent to check if it sounds fine at the end! Halas such musicians are even more rare in the cities than those techs...:)

But sure this is subjective as this is not the standalone gear which is tested by ears but the whole system. So measurements of a standalone gear stays the only objectiv way... halas it would not say all. I believe it is what people call "sound of cap" when the hear a change when swapping caps. Of course take 7 standalone caps and you have not The Platters.

Anyway, at ears this Silmic II of the first post is all but neutral when putted in a layout then listened and doesn't exist in high capacitance iirc (>1000 uF?).

They are excellent when it comes to be in serie with the signal path though... just imho. Bigger Elna power caps with the same filled "silk" inside are more neutral than the little Silmic II... but gives often a soft result at ears which some can like with SS (of course caps have no sound but they interact greatly with the circuit and those are not always measurable or at least not in term of floors : thd, noise Perhaps this the fabric process and the components inside : leads ? how they are linked up to the foil ? nature of dielectric ? how is metalized the foil ? I really don't know but ESL, ESR, so data specs is just a Must but don't suffice... hence such a thread)

In the spirit of simple Rehnec asking, the simpliest & wize way is to swap the parts with the same ref. or their successor in the same brand or say it to the not sota tech he has on hands.:)... Or buy a Pass!

No polemics intended, best regards.

Last edited: