Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Best electrolytic capacitors
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2017, 02:57 PM   #881
carlmart is offline carlmart  Brazil
diyAudio Member

That has been my challenge every time I picked location sound, in dialogue or music situations. Picking the mic and mic position is crucial for that. Once I recorded a piano quite badly because of that. But I learned from that and it never happened again. For dialogue it's also quite tricky, as you can affect a performance with a mic position. If you are doing tests you must pick your reference recordings, and it certainly gets confused on some mixes. A friend of mine used a Low Rawls CD for a long time to check the high quality speakers he makes. The CD was impeccable. For me the most difficult task is to make a mono track sound as well as if it were stereo, going from wall to wall and filling up a room.

Last edited by Variac; 3rd December 2020 at 06:24 PM.
Old 5th September 2017, 03:21 PM   #882
dimkasta is offline dimkasta  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
Why can't engineers and audiophiles meet in the middle and both acknowledge there might something valid on what the other is claiming?
Exactly carl
That is what I 've been saying from the start. Keep an open mind.We are on the same side after all.

Old 5th September 2017, 03:28 PM   #883
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi carlmart,
Quote:
It's not much use to answer or comment specifically each statement of this discussion. I have been reading similar ones over the years, and rarely do they seem to get anywhere.
True, very true.

I also agree with much of what you have said, and if anyone checks my posting history I have always said that you need to both measure and listen. When those two things are in agreement you are following the right path.

The major difference in testing is that some people are still assuming a simple 'scope or THD meter tests. Even if you use a spectrum analyser (much more helpful) you can't see the fine details you need to. However, once you hang a really good spectrum analyser off the monitor output of a good THD meter, interesting things pop up. It is here that you have to learn how to interpret the results and where you can see what is being heard. This is reasonably advanced and still will not work with budget test equipment. This is where what you hear can be seen and measured. The accuracy isn't too good due to the noise floor, and hopefully we will see more as equipment gets better. If I had current equipment, then I'm absolutely positive the results could be quantified.

I'll say it again. If you can hear it, it can be seen in my case. We are measuring things below -100 dBu and averaging drops the noise floor until these aberrations come into view. I think Demian and a few others probably do this. Richard likely can as well.

-Chris
Old 5th September 2017, 04:02 PM   #884
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

just about anyone with the better tier of 'prosumer' soundcards of a decade ago should be able do this, some for less than $200 - like the ESI Juli@
Old 5th September 2017, 05:52 PM   #885
diyAudio Moderator

I guess you would need the appropriate software as well.

-Chris
Old 5th September 2017, 06:07 PM   #886
ticknpop is offline ticknpop  Canada
diyAudio Member

We can all start saving , the new Blackgates are gettting closer to production, samples are being tested.
Old 6th September 2017, 01:49 AM   #887
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm a diyer who grew up in a house with tube amps, and musical instruments around as well. My teenage years were spent listening to louder music, live music, but now enjoy tweaking and tuning, power supplies are a big part of this, haven't used my scope yet for audio. So far my favorite filter capacitors are epcos sikorel, Mundorf ag, epcos b41505, Nichicon FZ. Local decoupling is either Silmic ars, or Panasonic pureism, found on eBay and sometimes older than one would prefer, but sound great regardless. Noticed these are getting scarce lately though. New blackgates might be worth a listen, wasn't in the game the first time...

Old 6th September 2017, 02:08 AM   #888
diyAudio Moderator

Oh-oh,
Now you've stepped in it!
Old 6th September 2017, 02:13 AM   #889
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

We seem to share the same sentiments Phase. I've always prefer Silmic ars over Silmics ll but asin anything can't use to many. Curious about Puresium trying to hunt for some to try.

Last edited by Variac; 3rd December 2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 6th September 2017, 11:59 AM   #890
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh man I have come close to using the scope, but so far have figured it out the hard way I guess. I really should start to get used to using that also.
The two flavors of parts are shared in my contraptions, usually the Panasonic on lower powered dac chips, Silmic closer to the output, but not always.

Best electrolytic capacitorsHide this!Advertise here!