Best electrolytic capacitors

My favorite is the Elna silk capacitors, available from Digikey,
and really cheap. The measure spectacularly, sound great,
:

Even better are the Elna Silmic Super Gold electrolytics.These appear to be an enhanced OEM version but only available via Ebay or TaoBao.Using the straight wire bypass test these sound considerably more neutral than the standard Silmics and indeed any of the Cerafine, Blackgate, Muse or Fine Gold caps that I compared them with.Excellent as feedback or coupling caps in SS circuits.

Attachments

• 00100475268.jpg
    00100475268.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 5,195
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Has anyone got strong ideas on large electrolytics suitable for PS duty? I am thinking in the 15000uf 25000uF range at, say 35V. From the stuff available here in the UK I was thinking between Murndorf and Rifa: any comment?

Many thanks and good luck.

Nichicon KG's have been highly recommended to me. I'm yet to take the plunge and get them though, I need 80V+ so somewhat more expensive!!! Percy Audio stocks them. Though in those values (15,000 and 22,000) he only has 50V minimum. not cheap but certainly seem to be a lot cheaper than the "computer grade" Rifa's or Aerovox caps that I have looked at as alternatives.

Tony.

I can tell you that I have had some bad luck with a brand called Samawah. The application I am sure had something to do with it, but the failure was spectacular and burned the solder lugs right off a 15,000uF cap not to mention burned a hole clean through the circuit board. Made one hell of a stink to when it let the smoke out as you already know.

Keith

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Samwha makes reasonably good caps but I would not use them in fine audio stuff considering the availability of better caps like Pana FC etc.

When applied wrongly (i.e. polarized in reverse ) even the best cap will blow in a spectacular way.

Last edited:
These were OEM stuff(I won't mention the manufacturer, so don't even ask) and not enough over rating to allow for any tolerance. 50V rated caps in a supply that ran at 45 Volts. So I guessI shouldn't blame the Samawahs.

They weren't installed backwards(or in other words reversed polarity) but putting them in there in the first place seems backwards.

You are so right too many other good choices available.

Keith

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone got strong ideas on large electrolytics suitable for PS duty? I am thinking in the 15000uf 25000uF range at, say 35V. From the stuff available here in the UK I was thinking between Murndorf and Rifa: any comment?

Many thanks and good luck.

rianco, te rif'a are about the best power supply cap out there, costly, but exceptional life, low esr and everything else you could want. I'd rate them above the Keindels and Nichicon/Rubycons PS caps. I use the Mundorf PS caps in a pre-amp supply, they are good cap for the application but for a power amp power supply I'd go with the Rifa's.

The BHC's are also good, try Audiocap.net, uk based...

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The percy audio guy may as well be dead for the time it takes him to reply, 6 months, 3 attempts at contacting him no reply.

I've read that others have had this problem as well... One person went to the extreme of sending some money via paypal (or mailed a cheque can't remember) to show he was interested, apparently got a quick response... I haven't yet tried, from what I have read your experience is pretty common, and faxing instead of emailing might be more likely to get a response.

Apparently the other thing is if the query is anything other than an order enquiry he doesn't answer. perhaps try putting order details in the subject eg want to purchase 10 XYZ caps ....

Tony.

rianco, te rif'a are about the best power supply cap out there, costly, but exceptional life, low esr and everything else you could want. I'd rate them above the Keindels and Nichicon/Rubycons PS caps. I use the Mundorf PS caps in a pre-amp supply, they are good cap for the application but for a power amp power supply I'd go with the Rifa's.

The BHC's are also good, try Audiocap.net, uk based...

Very many thanks!!:)

very glad that finally found the right forum and topic where to ask where I could ask professionals regarding caps upgrade in my Rеstek amp :)

I've decided to change the caps as the amp is definitely more than 10 years old (also to be honest these "black&white" wires that r inside to silver ones).

so I have:
4 x 10.000uf 63v
10 x 220uf 63v
16 x 470uf 63v

I'm not sure whether should I swap 220 and 470uf caps as ones think it's better to change all caps at once, others - just the filter (?!)...
I have found decent replacement on ebay and would be very happy if you could advice me if it the right choice :rolleyes:

Elna for Audio 10.000uf 63v
Nichicon MUSE KZ 220uf 100v
Nichicon MUSE FG 470uf 63v

I'm pretty sure it worths to replace the big ones :) However maybe it's better to go for Rubycons? At least they would be twice cheaper :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
very glad that finally found the right forum and topic where to ask where I could ask professionals regarding caps upgrade in my Rеstek amp :)

I've decided to change the caps as the amp is definitely more than 10 years old (also to be honest these "black&white" wires that r inside to silver ones).

so I have:
4 x 10.000uf 63v
10 x 220uf 63v
16 x 470uf 63v

I'm not sure whether should I swap 220 and 470uf caps as ones think it's better to change all caps at once, others - just the filter (?!)...
I have found decent replacement on ebay and would be very happy if you could advice me if it the right choice :rolleyes:

Elna for Audio 10.000uf 63v
Nichicon MUSE KZ 220uf 100v
Nichicon MUSE FG 470uf 63v

I'm pretty sure it worths to replace the big ones :) However maybe it's better to go for Rubycons? At least they would be twice cheaper :)

I would be really careful of any electrolytics bought on eBay, particularly from far eastern vendors, unfortunately counterfeit types are all too common.

I would get them from a reputable local UK supplier like RS. (Or order them from the United States or Canada.)

The prices quoted in those eBay auctions are not all that stellar either.

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
the 220uF price is definitely on the steep side... http://www.partsconnexion.com/product14213.html
100V for the 470 but still cheaper..
http://www.partsconnexion.com/product14191.html

They don't have the KG's yet but apparently will be stocking them.. Don't know what that Elna is, but not on PX's web site...

but for the two nichicons, I'd say partsconexion looks like a much better bet than an ebay seller! Especially when they are cheaper!! (that ebay seller does have free shipping (unusual) and I'm not sure what the partsconnexion shipping is. Note I have not bought anything from parts connexion so can't vouch for their service or reliability. If and when they start stocking the KG's I will more than likely be placing an order :)

Tony.

Hi guys! many thanks for your advices :)
would definitely order 220 & 470uf caps form Partsconnexion!

As to the big ones (10.000uf), does Partsconnexion offer any options? I've found only Mundorf MLytic® 6800uf / 63v DC, how good they are in comparison with Elnas :rolleyes:

Also I'm looking for some decent biding posts for the same amp:)
How do you consider CMC 858?
There are quite attractive AudioNotes on Partsconnexion "MEISHU", though they r silver plated... Wampire look decent to me too, but I haven't heard anything about that brand... As to the CMCs, I've seen their RCAs even on hi-end MBLs!

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Tony..... I've been buying my KGs and other Nichicons from here.

Nichicon Muse capacitors minisemi

Thanks Rabbitz, I've bookmarked them :) Unfortunately they don't look like they have the 10,000 uF 80V KG's that I am after, only place I've found them so far is percy audio! If I make another amp it is not going to have 66V rails ;)

Tony.