Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Best electrolytic capacitors
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2021, 09:22 AM   #1781
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
I assume you include only the well known engineers writing under their own names here, right?

Cause looking at some of the better sounding commercial kit there are plenty of cap-obsessed designers. Do we need to compile a reference list?
i am sure there are a lot, what is the point?

i comment with reference to myself, you can have your own opinions and that is also alright....

capacitors are not subject to debate as far as i am concerned, as long as you are happy with your capacitors, then that is it.....
Old 12th March 2021, 09:30 AM   #1782
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTecson View Post
just about all the relevant technical information has been collated in the 1980 article about picking capacitors in the Audio magazine, the authors are members here and at time posting also.....

Im an old fart now Tony, wish that Im younger cause the man that I admire most is Elon Musk. Just think of it when he started Space X, Nasa must have been laughing their socks off but just look at where Space X is today & what Elon must have been up against when he started Space X zero background against Nasa's knowledge. Look whose having the last laugh now.

Cheers
Old 12th March 2021, 09:58 AM   #1783
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyiggy View Post
I don't think some caps are ALWAYS better than others.
You are right of course. Once you start digging deeper there are some unpleasant truths to uncover.

With some caps the year of manufacture is decisive. With most it is also the rating, both in voltage and capacitance. All very annoying.

And of course there is that mysterious system synergy.
Old 12th March 2021, 10:02 AM   #1784
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumotan View Post
Im an old fart now Tony, wish that Im younger cause the man that I admire most is Elon Musk.
Elon would probably figure out all audio mysteries over a single weekend. Sadly, he seems to have more important things to do for now
Old 12th March 2021, 10:08 AM   #1785
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My own findings the best DC blocker for SS input isn't BG N but BG Type AC. Deep bass & no bloating etc, better then BG N at this location.
Wow. Just googled those. Have no recollection of ever seeing one.
Old 12th March 2021, 10:14 AM   #1786
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Elon would probably figure out all audio mysteries over a single weekend. Sadly, he seems to have more important things to do for now
Putting his genius aside it is his fundamental mind set that drives him to where he is today.
Old 12th March 2021, 10:16 AM   #1787
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Wow. Just googled those. Have no recollection of ever seeing one.
It is good here cause it was designed for speaker XO which naturally is good for DC blocking as music signals are being input to the amp. Lol
Old 12th March 2021, 01:00 PM   #1788
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here we are, I like the guy cause the joke : the cab in the space ! A rational engineer would have said cause all the technical information collected, better to have a roof and sealed windows for the driver ! But man hey : no roof

We don't know at this point if the cab have an audio system despite there is no air outside, lol !

And here is I wanted to say, it's very revelant with some posters : they show their titles, I'm engineer, etc... so I know, I made first class devices, etc ! That's a class feeling to say on a vertical scale you are an idiot. There is nothing smart in that attitude cause nothing is about science with this attitude and too much engineers don't know enough about epistimology. Btw that's why they are not most of the time NOT scientists too. Nothing bad here, it's a reflex of human being when they don't master and are in the inconfort zone, their mind and tongue drift, me the first ! But hey caps are not so much rocket science nowadays, so they should calm down more about their behavior and just if they would like to do so take some time to investigate with more open mind. But of course, I'm the first to say, better to spend time to listen music ... which is all our goal here and we share the same good feeling about the music

But my feeling is their words about caps when some are outside the textbook here (rules they respect btw or the circuitry would not work) are also opinions.

And no, I don't think all the people we all know that had written about caps have said it all. I personally find the last I read in some known mag. here is quite limited with a cruel lake of imagination about the protocols. Just my pinion, of course, not a an universal truth.

Musk is a deer, sorry a dare guy that hits multidimensional and think outside the frontiers without raping the technical paradigms. His best talent is to take controlled financial risks. But huge risks... there is no great triumph (oh a cab yet!) without big risk !

So both frontiers of our audio caps world are opinions as far the circuitry don't break. When many think in an ABX tests that a devices, sorry a whole system, sounds best, without knowing it was capacitors optimized, then we are certainly in the collective hysteria, lol !

Last edited by diyiggy; 12th March 2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12th March 2021, 01:06 PM   #1789
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You are right of course. Once you start digging deeper there are some unpleasant truths to uncover.

With some caps the year of manufacture is decisive. With most it is also the rating, both in voltage and capacitance. All very annoying.

And of course there is that mysterious system synergy.

Indeed I had discovered that as well... but it's hard to identify cause also lytics are chemical... so sometimes it can be how we stock them... You can just know when you have bought the same ref in a short time at diferent authorized places in a short time windows : Mouser , Digikey, Farnell, etc.
Old 12th March 2021, 01:21 PM   #1790
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Putting his genius aside it is his fundamental mind set that drives him to where he is today.

Sumo, one day you will be wize and find than lichen and mosses on a garden is all that matters ! Not the money and glory !

But I have to say something (for the one that seen the end of the Marvel movie) :

"I AM Iron-Man" Iron Man - I Am Iron Man (Full scene) - YouTube

Best electrolytic capacitorsHide this!Advertise here!