Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Best electrolytic capacitors
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2020, 06:38 PM   #1511
SinGun is offline SinGun  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanee View Post
In my experience the actual ESR value has no particular influence on the sound quality.For example most film caps have vanishingly low ESR but still sound OK.I was merely quoting ESR values as a way of distinguishing the genuine Super Gold Simic vs the standard type.
The gold standard test of sound quality for any capacitor is a simple straight wire bypass at the input of your amp.Most caps even expensive boutique types fail miserably.
True. If a cap fails this test it can still be used for sounding the amp. I.e.: The Soviet K75 hybrid cap play the music thru a pink glass, everything gets mellow and smooth with creamy lower mids/upper bass. They cheat. But for many people they are life savers.
Old 24th November 2020, 08:42 PM   #1512
eanee is offline eanee  Australia
diyAudio Member

The problem is that all capacitors introduce their own unique brand of colouration into the signal path.None are truly neutral.The challenge is to find the cap with the least offensive amount of added colouration.As Lynn Olson describes it---

"Caps measure almost perfect yet sound very different from each other, as well as having unmusical and mechanical-sounding colorations. Plastic caps, in fact, tend to sound like plastic foil or "tupperware" coloration. These colorations are nothing at all like speaker colorations or triode sonics, so they really intrude onto the musical fabric. Changing to Black Gate or oils just changes to another and even more obvious coloration."
Old 24th November 2020, 08:55 PM   #1513
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumotan View Post
Where did you manage to get them Phase. I had to get a Jap friend to purchase it for me.
Mine are just the ARS, not sure if they are marked as anything else. I got them from eBay years ago, and sound better than anything else I have found, but could be a little soft if not mixed with other parts in some equipment though. There were some pictures of disassembled parts on a Japanese site at one point, showing the unique wadding they used supposedly.
Old 25th November 2020, 12:02 AM   #1514
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

The 100uf 50v ones I have are marked as ARS “super gold”, but the smaller 22uf 16v, and 10uf 35v values are ARS.
Old 25th November 2020, 12:09 AM   #1515
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanee View Post
The problem is that all capacitors introduce their own unique brand of colouration into the signal path.None are truly neutral.The challenge is to find the cap with the least offensive amount of added colouration.As Lynn Olson describes it---

"Caps measure almost perfect yet sound very different from each other, as well as having unmusical and mechanical-sounding colorations. Plastic caps, in fact, tend to sound like plastic foil or "tupperware" coloration. These colorations are nothing at all like speaker colorations or triode sonics, so they really intrude onto the musical fabric. Changing to Black Gate or oils just changes to another and even more obvious coloration."
Olson is a very clever guy. I only disagree with him on the Jensen PIO issue. He hates them. Can't understand why.
Old 25th November 2020, 12:10 AM   #1516
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Interesting that you manage to get hold of some Super Gold Phase.
Old 25th November 2020, 12:13 AM   #1517
diyAudio Member

Btw, I found out using Dale MF resistors on the audio signal series line in combo with carbon film resistors (KOA/Kiwame, Takman, Ohmite) on the audio parallel lines gets good results. Sound gets not too fat and and not too bright.
Old 25th November 2020, 12:21 AM   #1518
diyAudio Member

Coloration, what is it, your source my source, your amp my amp, your speakers my speakers, your room my room . Its is a never ending argument etc.
What Im seeking is what sounds best in my set up. Every thing is colored we just have to find the right balance that's all. Pointless to argue about a cap or a resistor etc.
BGs aren't like what you said SinGun even the standard ones.
Old 25th November 2020, 12:54 AM   #1519
diyAudio Member

You are right.

About BG:
I can hear the soundstage depth collapsing with BG very clearly. Its also upfront and driving and pressing. Some like that, it's OK. I need some drive and punch too but to loose the depth is a no go for me.
Old 25th November 2020, 12:55 AM   #1520
diyAudio Member

Yes SimGun,
This is what we should be sharing. Sound signature from components & how to mix them to balance out the sound. Forget about the none believers. My AyA dac has no less then 6 different types of caps & I even parallel different caps to achieve the sound that Im looking for.

Best electrolytic capacitorsHide this!Advertise here!