Best electrolytic capacitors

How good are the CBB65? Have you used them as cathode bypasses? The reason I ask is that in the shootout I did a few years back, again as bypass caps, the ordinary plastic body motor run caps were awful. This surprised me, but it was so. The Kemet C4AQ were easily the winners then.

I've been doing some extended listening to opera - Die Meistersinger Act 1 in the later Solti recording. The Kemet C4AQ were easily the winners yet again. They were not only detailed, but also the voices and orchestral instruments had a natural and realistic timbre. Next but a little way behind I'd put the Nichicon Gold Tune KG. It had clarity and the orchestra was nice, but the voices didn't quite have the smoothness and natural timbre of the Kemets. Some way behind again was the Kaisei - a clear sound but the voices lacked subtlety and smoothness, and also the Silmics where the orchestra was duller but the voices were smoother and more subtle. With extended listening to opera the ES, which did better on jazz and such, didn't have the smoothness and subtlety for this kind of music. I didn't re-test the others.

So if you listen to a lot of opera and classical music, I'd say the Kemets were the only possible choice. If unavailable then the Nichicon KG Gold Tune. I didn't try the KG SuperThrough and these might even be a tad better. I also didn't try other DC link caps from Vishay and others but I'd expect them to be of comparable quality. I tried Vishay in one amp as cathode bypasses and it was nice.

i view filter capacitors as necessary to minimize ripple voltages and provide a burst of power when needed, music after all are transients...

how you listen to your caps is nobody's business but yours.....i am not swayed nor bothered by it...
for bypass caps i use Panasonic solid polymers, you may like it but i choose them for the reason that they do not dry up over time....

Reactions: 1 user
The plot thickens....

I read somewhere that the Silmics can combine with other caps for better results, so I tried them in combo with the Kaisei to give 100+100uF. The result was excellent and surprised me - here we have the smoothness of the Silmic and the brighter tone of the Kaisei and the combination seems to be better than the sum of the parts you might expect. This is now a competitive cap. It worked fine on opera and classical. Both clarity and tone. I've just put these in, so it needs more extended listening to be more sure about the longer term satisfaction.

There's no end to possible combinations - this is a slippery slope. I just had a hunch the Silmics might combine quite well, and looks like they could indeed do.

I also looked up Vishay DC Links, the MKP1848 series, and there is some availability there so that's one to try.

Okay hands up I use in signal Silmic for the high values with a 1uf Arizona Blue and 0.082 Jensen PIO and a MICA 0.016uf in parallel. I just tried loads and went forward it back over a few months, well years in all. I love the MICA Ruby caps from Japan they are superb. They add resolution, avoiding any forward or brightness, seem to increase the ability to image with realism and naturalness and add spades of macro and microdynamics. But again they take ages to add most of these qualities. Straight in they have an increase in resolution and image size but they sound a little ordinary and too controlled. But wait and you’ll know why they are special

this was the first seller i saw and i got scared but if the price is cheap then its great.

https://www.adark.co/products/mica-capacitor

If you look that's £166 for 6 off 0.0163uf caps soldered together to two pairs of three. So the caps are £90ish for the caps and £76 for solder and bending the leads and a little insulation ! I guess if you are retailing, need to advertise, accept some responsibility for problems, postal loss and so on its to too bad if you want them in this configuration and can't solder

I'm always curious about what a component will do to affect sound. Spend lots of time trying out different components. Biggest surprise to me was styroflex which are in small values of different brands can make such great difference in sound when use as bypass on my dac. Same value just different brand. Boggles the mind

I know, I sit there thinking well I have a swapped out my good (ESR) well made caps for a pair of Mundorf AG and that's better after the burn in (better straight away actually) I then read about bypassing with a modest 1% value cap to help with higher frequency impedance and add a 220uf Silmic to the 22,000uf Mundorfs and that is better everywhere, not just improving the higher freqencies, I then add a 1uf Arizona and this was possibly the biggest change and then a 0.0163uf MICA (although this is more about removing a bit of noise rather than improving the supply) and that's juts the first stage in my analogue supply for the board in my BluRay player. By the way I like Oscon's for digital supplies to DACs, sometimes combined with higher value electrolytic

I can only reconcile with the fact that we are genuinely losing a lot of transient information and energy in the music signal and this is reduced with the addition of a blend of caps. One good thing is I have yet to find any noticeable benefit from perfect solder joints and whilst I try my best, sometimes they are not as perfect as I would like and I'm delighted to tape them over !

This still troubles me as it was horrible to do as many leads all wanting to go different ways and only one pair of hands, blutak and masking tape, it gets uglier and uglier when you take off and re-solder again and again !....

I used to leave long enough cable to resolver and neaten when I was done, but soon realised no sonic benefit that I could hear. I do like double sided non tape as it holds and damps and can be peeled off if necessary, which looks ugly too !

IMG_4601.jpeg

IMG_4572.jpeg

IMG_4582.jpeg