Best electrolytic capacitors

which one is better for sound?
As for the sound, the best cap simply doesn't exist.

[IMO]
You'll have to try some "listening experiments" (at least two), which will also have a cost of course, but which will be able to give you the meaning of what I mean above.
You can probably find a capacitor with electrical declared characteristics that the more they adapt to a certain project and topology, but then you will also have to listen to it and then choosing what is right for you, that's for your best sound, in your system.
[/IMO]

I found this survey interesting. FWIW

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Properly sized and used (assuming good quality capacitors for industry), coupling capacitors will not affect the sound quality. Obviously a speaker coupling capacitor can because the currents are so high, but normally this is not the case.

It is so darned easy to fool ourselves that we hear a difference, not with just capacitors. Sometimes there is a difference, but that involves other factors, like capacitor defects. Note this is coupling capacitors.

-Chris

Hi Chris, I read with attention your posts that always teach something new for me.
In this case, may be I'm wrong (it would not be the first time! :smash: ), I was sure @sworder84 spoke of large capacitance electrolytic caps, though...

Edit: I just got it, the survey I posted is related to coupling capacitors. My oversight: you're very correct! (y)
The link was to be at this interesting (at least for me) thread
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/naim-audio-nap-110-restoration.384841/

Last edited:
As for the sound, the best cap simply doesn't exist.

[IMO]
You'll have to try some "listening experiments" (at least two), which will also have a cost of course, but which will be able to give you the meaning of what I mean above.
You can probably find a capacitor with electrical declared characteristics that the more they adapt to a certain project and topology, but then you will also have to listen to it and then choosing what is right for you, that's for your best sound, in your system.
[/IMO]

I found this survey interesting. FWIW
Well, I don't know CDE but I use the different Nichicon (FG, KA, KZ) and Silmic 2. I'm buying CDE 380LX at first time (already ordered). I hope for a good experience!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi sworder84,
As long as those are legit Cornell Dubilier capacitors, you will have a good experience - unless expectation bias throws things off. I've used this brand (and others) since I began buying components as a young fella in the early 1970's. It is a solid brand and I still will buy and use them.

Relax, buy authentic new stock parts and ignore ideas about what is better, then come to your own conclusions. You'll see the truth at that point.

-Chris

Reactions: 1 users
@sworder84 I think that if originals there is no reason to think that you don't have a good experience with your choice.
The advice is always to buy from usual distributors known for their good reputation.
Anyway my view is that it represents a step, maybe after months of satisfaction you will have some money to spend and you will think to change them just to hear if "something" changes in the sound of your system, maybe not.
The search for "the best" does not take you anywhere, because the best does not exist, but the things that can be done for pure fun with the spirit to discover your ideal sound are so many, some time.

JFYI The following is an article from 2008, but the author's dedication is still noteworthy and illo tempore he taught me something of interesting.
http://tech.juaneda.com/en/articles/electrolyticcapacitors.html

Nelson use the 380LX look like the way to go...
Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 12-36-47 XA25.png

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wow!

Who cares what one person uses?? Jeeze, decisions are made on quality, delivery and price. You can't assume that part is the best simply because someone uses them! That and the truth is, several manufacturers make "the best" capacitor depending on application and model number of the part (capacitor in this case).

When you are buying in quantity, delivery (lead times and stock) is a paramount concern. Price factors in of course and you need a certain quality level. Almost every single good manufacturer does make a suitable part that performs as well as another manufacturer's part. When you are not building enough devices to require large parts orders you have a lot more freedom ('cause you don't need as many).

For example, where I am concerned I need the part to be available of course. I also need a high quality part (and I do have the experience and equipment to determine this), and of course the price has to be in the ballpark. Notice that I didn't say the least expensive or the most expensive. It also must fit properly physically.

I'm going to tell you from decades (over four) of experience with parts, there is no one best brand / model.

Now consider this. If a designer / manufacturer comes out and says "xyz part" is the best and no others will do, what happens if he is behind in production and can't get his preferred part? How about when that part reaches end of (product) life? That manufacturer / design will absolutely use another part. It will not impact performance, so do they just shut up and hope no one notices the different part? Do they announce that current production of the new part now meets their standards? Or do they halt production and go out of business?

-Chris

Reactions: 1 user
A question of tehcnical suitability for Tube HV PSU ( PP Amp, A/B class, Bridge rectifier in PSU ) :

100 uF / 630 Vdc Kemet ALC70 Elco
Mouser part number : 80-ALC70A101CC630
DS in attach.

This seems to me "industrial" capacitor but probably can work well in first postiton, bridge rectification ( maybe full wave ), C-LC config.

Any comments ?

Attachments

• KEM_A4081_ALC70-1530236.pdf
    7.4 MB · Views: 74
A question of tehcnical suitability for Tube HV PSU ( PP Amp, A/B class, Bridge rectifier in PSU ) :

100 uF / 630 Vdc Kemet ALC70 Elco
Mouser part number : 80-ALC70A101CC630
DS in attach.

This seems to me "industrial" capacitor but probably can work well in first postiton, bridge rectification ( maybe full wave ), C-LC config.

Any comments ?
Excellent electrolytics, ex BHC, I used the ALC10 series in my old DAC.

Attachments

• KEM_A4020_ALC10-1103920.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 64
Reactions: 1 user
Correct me if I’m wrong but I would try to use 105c caps like 381LX or 381LL in power amps especially in class A amps.
I ended up using 381LL series but I went for overspec. Figured they'll last my lifetime but I'm sure there are many other brands and series that will work just fine for a long time. Not sure how critical the temp rating is for Class A if they are provided enough ventilation or a seperate PSU chassis.
IMG_4085.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users