6-Ganged Potentiometers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, I've got a vintage setup, and want to add 5.1 surround. To that end, I recently purchased a DVD player that includes onboard DTS and Dolby Digital decoding, and of course it has the outputs for all the required channels.

I also have a 5-channel amp ready to roll. All I need is something to control the volume from the player, and a 4PDT switch to route the front L-R channels. The switch is fairly easy, but...

...I have searched all over the web, and although several manufacturers make 6-ganged pots, it appears that no one fricken sells 'em (except for some $400 stepped pot...sorry, not interested:rolleyes: )

Thoughts, ideas, help???

EchoWars said:
...I have searched all over the web, and although several manufacturers make 6-ganged pots, it appears that no one fricken sells 'em (except for some $400 stepped pot...sorry, not interested:rolleyes: )

Thoughts, ideas, help???

Well, I suppose you could get 6 regular pots and then go someplace like <a href="http://www.smallparts.com">Small Parts, Inc.</a> and get you some gears and link 'em all together (a gear on each shaft with idler gears between the shaft gears).

Could also use pulleys and belts.

se

One thing to consider is that surround sound recordings and movies are rarely "balanced" to suit your room and tastes. I would use separate pots for for each channel then adjust as necessary. Check out the April issue of AudioXpress for I am talking about.

Philo said:
One thing to consider is that surround sound recordings and movies are rarely "balanced" to suit your room and tastes. I would use separate pots for for each channel then adjust as necessary. Check out the April issue of AudioXpress for I am talking about.
Not really practical. I mean, 6 pots just to turn the volume up or down? And each time I do so, I'm unbalanced again. The player allows 6db of adjustment per channel, so balance should be covered as long as my speaks are sorta close in level.

Look here:
www.thel-audio.de

He sell a very good panasonic poti.
Andreas
There we go! 48 EU. Now, how to snag one of these, since they say on the site:
Goods order is possible in the following way:
(see also under "trading conditions")
By telephone
(with consultation by Mr. Hartwig)

By fax
By letter

By email unfortunately not possible
Since they are in Germany, I might as well not have found 'em, unless someone in Germany wants to help out....

peter....

I have bought the brigar items, and the tracking is dubious. They have a four ganged pot W/ a concentric, center detent, balance control. That balance cannot be used as volume #'s 5& 6. (but it's a decent balance)

You may have one of these- Email me.

and the 4-ganger (alone) has -abysmal tracking.--totally strange curve.

everybody's got that problem!

The best looking multi -Vc is the analog devices AD 8400-2-3. (IMHO)
The problem is it takes a serial digital interface which some folks should be able to scope out pretty easily, but I can't. Can anyone get his digerati friends to take a look at it?

The relay based is a little too spendy for my tastes....seems a lot of trouble to avoid a potentiometer.

Brigar shows a 6-ganged, but doesn't list one for sale.

I do believe I'm going to go with an external decoder with remote. I can't believe it's so damn hard to find a pot in the US... :rolleyes:

Wow! What an absolutely great bunch of guys here!

Anthony...it is tempting, but after consideration I find that...if I use the pot instead of an external decoder, I will lose use of my subwoofer in 2-channel mode...(vintage system, ya know).

I can snag a decoder for about $125 US, and it also allows a lot more flexibility than using a simple pot. If I had been able to find a 6-ganged pot fairly easily, I probably would have grabbed one just to fool with until I got an external decoder.

Anyway, the offer is greatly appreciated and just goes to show that an audio fanatic is the same everywhere...just love to help out the other guy so his setup can be 'almost' (but never quite) as good as your own (which is always the best). :D :D

Cheers!

Echo Wars:

Why don't you try Marchand Electronics? I think :scratch: they're based in Minnesota. They will custiom make you a pot up to 6-gang. Any value you want, up to 1 Megohm. Tracking is something like +/- 0.5dB (pretty good), and although they're not motorized, they are hermeticallt sealed, and are available in either pc board mount or standard solder terminal. Give this a try. Their prices are not too bad, either. Best of Luck.

'73,

de N8XO :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.